Solid Edge Color Schemes - makes SE look like it is inactive all the time.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Why are we so limited with the Solid Edge color schemes?  Right now, with ST9 we are limited to Black, White, Light Gray, and Dark Gray.  My beef with them is as follows:

• All of the ST9 color schemes make Solid Edge look like it is inactive.  Back in the good old days an active window would have a nice bright blue title bar and an inactive window would have a pale gray title bar.  That made it easy to tell at a glance which program was active - especially if you had two monitors.  Now it is impossible to tell because everything looks inactive and you have to go and click your mouse to find out.
  • The color schemes are very drab and lifeless.  Even the black scheme is really just a medium gray.  Maybe they should have been named Dull Gray, Light Gray, Really Washed-Out Gray, and Kitchen Appliance White?  Just like all the Silver cars you see on the roads these days - blah!
  • Why not add in a CUSTOM color scheme setting?  Or at least bring back the Blue color scheme, but this time give it a bit more color than that old Hospital Blue!
13 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Color Schemes - makes SE look like it is inactive all the time.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Try this:

Run regedit.exe and go to following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 109\DEBUG\Codejock Theme Additions Visible. Change its registry value from 0 to 1. You will get more color schemes... Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Imics your depth of knowledge knows no bounds.....how, I say, HOW, do you find this stuff??  Robot Very Happy

@chrisstandring will be able to restore his prefered "Win7 - Blue" colour scheme in seconds.

2017-01-17.png

Wonder why, after switching the Registry Key, it lists Office 2010, when I have Office 365 Business installed, that updated to 2016, back when it was first available.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Legend

Hi Imics,

Thanks for that.  That DEBUG folder looks to be a bit of an Aladdin's Cave - I must explore further when I get a quiet moment.

Having said that, I was all excited to think maybe there would be some real color hidden away just waiting to be found - maybe a bright blue, green, or even orange - but no, the extra color schemes are just more of the same.  Just more dull corporate silvers and greys - no wonder they are hidden by default.  You have to quint pretty hard to convince yourself that the blues are actually blue.

Surely it wouldn't be hard to add in a CUSTOM color scheme?

PLM World Member Legend
Actually I just had another look in the DEBUG folder and found that there is another setting:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 109\DEBUG\ST8 Color Themes Visible

I set that to 1 and at least can restore the old ST8 hospital blue. I did find that the blue themes in Codejock Theme Additions Visible appeared to stop working so turned that off again. Not perfect but still, like I said above, why not allow a bit more color?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@chrisstandring, they are just following the Office themes, hovever they have only made it to Office 2013.  Office 2016 added a new theme called "Colorful" that is a little more lively.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Phenom
Phenom

Grundey wrote:

@chrisstandring, they are just following the Office themes, hovever they have only made it to Office 2013.  Office 2016 added a new theme called "Colorful" that is a little more lively.

Office 2013 and 2016 colors are something obviously made to make users angry.

Plus they no more support ClearType for the sake of innovation forgetting the thousand million people still on win 7.

Sadly Microsoft never learn from theyr past mistakes Smiley Sad

Phenom
Phenom

To me it appears the logic for a car goes here. You can choose from a specific range of sober colors for a given model of a car, unless have ordered a custom built - which SE is not, as a CAD program.

PLM World Member Legend

Well, I guess it looks like it is an Office thing rather than SE.  I am running Win 7 Pro and for most packages (not MS Office and not Solid Edge) it is possible to make the windows ANY color you want.  With Win 10 - not so easy.  So the functionality once existed but for some reason some very straight-laced people are calling the shots now.

Phenom
Phenom

AFAIK They're called "Office 2010" or whatever as they're inspired by them as opposed to having directly come from them i.e. Once upon a time, a Solid Edge developer manually created that theme based on the current version of MS office at that time. Therefore it doesn't have any relation to the version you happen to have installed.

Regarding personalisation within applications, this is completly up to the app developers, nothing to do with Windows. I think the difference is that there's a trend that apps are more branded and customised around the toolbars etc. (e.g. Chrome, SE) than they were previously when they just used the standard MS controls that the system controlled. In Win 10 there's  an options in the colour settings to "Show colour in the title bar" which highlights the active window like you want for apps that use default, but SE is custom so isn't highlighted.