Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Solid Edge Group on GrabCAD

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers,

I created a group on GrabCAD for SE users.

Anyone interested welcome !!

https://grabcad.com/groups/solidedge-users/

So far we've got over 200 members.

See you there.

Arek

7 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Group on GrabCAD

Phenom
Phenom

I saw this, joined and commented!

Grabcad is a great source for files, my usual #1 go to for non-critical parts.

-Craig

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Joined!

...and thanks to Craig for pointing to the 'source of files', upon which I explored more and found the Library tab out there. It's an ocean of models of all kind. Using SyncTech and Convergent Modeling, I can easily use any model from any CAD in Solid Edge.

On similar notes, this community forum should also host a tutorial and a free Solid Edge model section.

@AmyReyes your thoughts...?

~Tushar

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tushar

That's a cool idea! It's something I had considered before (prior to joining SE), but didn't seem quite feasible at the time. I'm definitely open to revisiting this and I would like to hear more of your thoughts.

Perhaps we can have a call or a virtual discussion open to SE members on this and other community feedback? I can also float some ideas I have for the next year and get your feedback as well during that time.

Thanks, 

Amy  

Community Manager, Solid Edge
Rules of Participation | Become a Guest Author
Become a Solid Edge Certified pro today!

Great to hear that Amy. And very exciting !

The models idea could be bit far-fetched, but previous community manager for Solid Edge Matt Lombard too supported allowing members to post short tutorials, if they wished and said this would be appreciated by authorities in Siemens PLM who would actually be approving this as a feature of the community.

No hurries here, let it take it's due time and course, but I think this would turn out to be some kind of 'knowledge base' that you maintain, with community members being the contributors.

Community Manager

Oh yeah, definitely I support allowing members to post short tutorials. Smiley Happy We welcome anyone to become a guest author, and they can do so today by simply requesting author status from me. I'd love to see more member created content in the KB and blog.

Do you mean to add a new knowledge base area where any member can post automatically? That's another interesting idea we can explore.

Thanks, 

Amy 

That's the correct way to put it Amy - short tutorials.

And I didn't mean to place them in the existing knowledge base - that can be reserved for the officially published stuff.

but again not also in the blog section where you, me and other post elaborate articles for a topic.

Those are quite time consuming.

This new category could be purely 'short tutorials' - as you have aptly labeled.

Users could just come in and post very short tutorials with quickly captured images to illustrate the concept.

Matt and I also went ahead and discussed about identifying forum members in each category like Sean Cresswell/Imre Szucs for shetmetal, me for Solid Edge API, Ken Grundy for CAD administration stuff, Wolfgang hawcad for 'everything' and so on..

Somehow this idea never took off or these people were never contacted. Then Matt left.

I am trying to capture all the valuable knowledge through the series 'Tips and Tricks from Forum Users'.

But that exercise is utterly back-breaking and time-consuming.

Hence a tutorial section where users contribute little in small chunks would do wonders.

What is required is little inspiration and/or reward to those who contribute.

~Tushar

Community Manager

Ah, yes, I understand. Thank you for clarifying. This is a neat concept and something that would definitely be doable. I also like the idea of identifying forum members with specific expertise. 

@Tushar wrote: 

I am trying to capture all the valuable knowledge through the series 'Tips and Tricks from Forum Users'.

But that exercise is utterly back-breaking and time-consuming.

I greatly enjoy your Tips and Tricks from Forum Users series, but yes it is quite an intensive task to take on. I can see where this area would alleviate a lot of that. 

I'm going to work on setting up a community planning call like I mentioned previously. I think it would be good to have the collaboration and feedback from Solid Edge members on the direction we're going.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread from it's original topic of the GrabCAD community!