Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge - Linking Hole Table with a Spreadsheet

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi Edgers,

Brief: Opened a Sheet Metal part (from a CAD neutral format) with 257 holes *coughs* on base tab & some on the 2 flanges. Thin Part to Sheet Metal & Flat Pattern. Ok. Went to drafting & generated a hole table from that.

Customer was quick to raise these three questions, one leading to another :-|

No. 1 - Getting the hole table data into a spreadsheet: Solved. Hole Table (or any table) can be copied & pasted into a spreadsheet. Fine.

No. 2 - Linking that speadsheet with part so that it drives the holes (kind of what we do when we link the variables with a speadsheet). The catch here is that the holes were not to be dimensioned (STEP/IGES/PARASOLID).

No. 3 - [This had me nuts. Just kidding.] Creating holes using an excel file or something similar. Key in the coordinates & *through* holes will be created in the part (they have hole data in X & Y with reference to an origin). To take this a step further,  also define plate dimensions in the same application as well which will get us a new part with holes.

This might be possible with something programmed exactly as required or is there's anything that's already available which I am not aware of?

Please note that we are talking about 200+ holes.

Any solutions?

Cheers.

Paras Raina, Technical Head, MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
NX 12.0.2
Solid Edge 2019
3 REPLIES 3

Betreff: Solid Edge - Linking Hole Table with a Spreadsheet

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Paras_R

reagrding Your 3rd issue, let me mantion, that this already was solved years ago.

Just search here for a macro (by myself Smiley Wink)  with the name "Kreisimport" which is "Circle Import" in German.

Just do it in a traditional profile environement.

Base is a text file with x and y coordinate columns separated by a tab.

That's it!

After having this profile, You can make a cut out from it, and - change to sync - let this recognize as holes in sync

Done!

regards
Wolfgang

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi @hawcad

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please post a link for the macro? Not able to find it anywhere.

Paras Raina, Technical Head, MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
NX 12.0.2
Solid Edge 2019

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Paras_R

so I think easier than searching for that post (might be 5 years ago) was to search my macro locally and post it again.

This I also have used to update the macro and translated it into English

So You will find an international versio now for importing point coordinates, creating cricle there AND bind them together as a rigi set.

Important:

Take care that this ONLY works in Traditional environement, within a skecth or profile!

I also have done a short video to explain how it works:

(view in My Videos)

Within the ZIP file I have also included an example file /text file) with a set of number pairs, separated by TABs

That's important too.

The original macro was written 2013

Hope it helps

regards
Wolfgang