Solid Edge Performance Test

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Edgers,

after several month of ST9 usage we did a couple of SE performance tests with comparing the results to the ST8 and ST7 numbers for the same computers.

What generally seems to be a fact, is that even on the same computer, with the same hardware as last year the total time has increased, espacially for the file I/O

This for me was  a surprise since we thought with a new version the performance should be better than before.

I have the file I/O time for several computers, workstation and laptops, and it looks like the file I/O 1 test needs nearly double the time as with ST8 last year.

from 80 sec to 160 sec and we have seen 220 sec. too

Are there any new and actual values available with actual hardware to compare?

regards
Wolfgang
17 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Performance Test

MLombard
Retired

My understanding is that the performance test is not meant to be used that way, but rather as a way to benchmark hardware.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @MLombard

but after using this Solid Edge Performance Test for several years and SE versions I have seen a constantly decrease in time - which is a speed up for Solid Edge - on the same hardware for every new version of SE.

Untill ST9!

ST9 now shows a significant increase and slow down.

Therefore the fair question come up: "Have we done something wrong in setup, must we change certain config parameters in software or hardware?"

On the other hand it is clearly understandable if users will claim, that it "was better with the old version" 

And this type of discusion is nothing I really like, and it is hard to argument.

Maybe, there is only a small button to push, a single setting to configure right and everything works better and faster.

Maybe it also is a matter of operating system and windows updates or service packs?

This is, what we want to find out.

And the question also will be, wether or not this is a local behaviour or it can be seen at other installations too.

And as mentioned, for me it shows as the file I/O is the main reason for slow down, since this time was nearly doubled than with ST8 last year.

Graphics also performed worse but not that much than I/O.

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
FYI, if you are using the performance benchmark tool we provide, this has not been updated in several years. IIRC this tool came about around ST5. This means that the utility is using older ST5 algorithms for its testing patterns. Meanwhile there may well be a newer algorithm available for performing the same action in the newer software with better performance that the tool then obviously is not taking advantage of.

To reiterate what Matt said, this is really intended as a tool for testing different hardware across the same software version. It is not designed as a comparison tool across software versions. For a true benchmark tool across Solid Edge versions you would need a tool that is specific to each software version e.g. a tool that is designed to use all ST7 optimized code for ST7, another tool with all ST8 optimized code for ST8, etc.

Phenom
Phenom

hawcad wrote:

And as mentioned, for me it shows as the file I/O is the main reason for slow down, since this time was nearly doubled than with ST8 last year.

Graphics also performed worse but not that much than I/O.

I do have the same slow down, my opinion is that something is changed in ST9 maybe related with the new management tools that make it worst than ST8.

In assembly, edit of a part in place takes ages to open.

Switching from one open documents to another it is slow.

The new UX menu takes up to 6 seconds just to show up.

Hope there will be inprovement in next MPs

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @uk_dave

OK, this is a clear and logic statement.

nevertheless together with a subjectively feeling of worse performance compared to ST8 this hard fact numbers show the objectiv fact what users believe at the moment.

This opinion was build also based on the fact, that from ST5 to ST6 to ST7, ST8 the numbers became smaller on the same hardware, providing the sense of a better usage.

We have seen an increase of performance from about 10% and from version to version and now it is a decrease of 20% from ST8 to ST9, ant thismostly in file I/O

We just are trying to find out, what we can do to improve this weakness and maybe to find out why it is worse than before.

That's all!

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@Fiorini

Try out the following test, pls:

• Log out from current user
  • Log in as an Administrator on your local PC and try to test your workflow (switching between environments, IPA, etc)

What is your experiences?

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom
My user have already administrator rights.

There is any particular setting to try out ?

Phenom
Phenom

Guys,

My experinces are same as @hawcad's. It seems ST9 is slower compare to ST8 on the same PC. I've got some similar feedbacks from some friends.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Imics

this is together with the expiriences of @Fiorini and others the "good" part of that article.

it seems, that noboday has set up th wrong parameters but it is more a question of operatig system issues and Solid Edge ST9 issues.

And this result makes me confident that our experts from Solid Edge developement will find out why it is and what we can do to make it better - as it already was in the past.

regards
Wolfgang