Solid Edge Rental

Creator
Creator

Is there any more information, specifically costs based on the Solid Edge rental:

"Karsten also announced an on-line Solid Edge store where you can rent Solid Edge on a monthly basis - available in August, with limited beta now)."

That seems like a great idea for very small businesses that find it hard to come up with upfront cost of purchasing Solid Edge. I think it is something that Siemens should take very seriously, as the major competitors don't currently offer anything like this.

-Seth M. Holmes
14 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Rental

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

The rental program is schedule to be online between august and october.

The annouce make by Karsten was a preview of what is coming.

To mee it looks like the end result of a program run in japan since 2011

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/about_us/newsroom/press/press_release.cfm?Component=1242...

http://beyondplm.com/2011/05/17/solidedge-and-the-future-of-micropayments-in-cadplm/

http://gfxspeak.com/2011/05/13/siemens-plm-software-launches-rental-version-of-solid-edge-in-japan/#...

On the japanese site it is list as 15 000 yen/month (150 USD), but I believe it is rent to buy.

Let's wait for the back to school season, we will then have more details.

Creator
Creator

Thanks SolidDNA, good info. I think if one could rent Solid Edge Classic for $100-$150 a month or therabouts that would be a great alternative to having to come up with the large (for a small business) upfront cost of a license. Smart move on Siemen's part if they make it work.

-Seth M. Holmes

PLM World Member Creator PLM World Member Creator
PLM World Member Creator

The unofficial/preliminary pricing has Solid Edge Classic at $260 per copy per month in the US.  Of course this could change.....

Go live is planned for sometime in August as announced at SEU.

Kim Corbridge

www.allyplm.com

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder

We mentioned at Solid Edge University that we are inviting first customers now, so if you would like to test the offer you can contact Kim Corbridge in this thread and he can give you "beta" access to the offer.  It will give you access to the store and pricing.

Best regards,

Karsten

Senior VP and GM
Solid Edge and Mainstream Engineering
@Newbk
karsten.newbury@siemens.com

PLM World Member Creator

Here is more complete contact info so you don't have to dig for my e-mail or phone number:

Kim Corbridge

Ally PLM Solutions Inc.

Office: (513) 984-0480 x 11   Cell: (513) 746-8089

kim.corbridge@allyplm.com    www.allyplm.com

Creator
Creator

These are just my thoughts, but I think the monthly pricing could be a bit lower for the different packages:

Solid Edge

Design/Drafting: $100/month

Foundation: $150/month

Classic: $200/month

Premium: $250-300/month (I realize it contains FEA software)

Autodesk offers Inventor LT which is similar to Solid Edge Design/Drafting for $95/month, and they will be offering their cloud based Fusion 360 for $25/month. I realize that Fusion 360 can't yet compare to Solid Edge, but that is a very attractive price.

-Seth M. Holmes

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It may be lower priced, but it is also an AutoDesk product Smiley Tongue

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

PLM World Member Creator

I agree with Ken's comment, but the other thing to consider is support.   The Solid Edge program includes support, while I don't beleive the AutoDesk products have any support options.

Kim

Creator
Creator

Autodesk - oh you mean the company with a marketing department??  Smiley Wink

-Seth M. Holmes