Solved! Go to solution

Solid Edge SERVER/NAS Which one is better?

Hello to all,

First of all sorry my bad Enlish and sorry if I ask a stupid question, I'm not a SolidEdge expert, and I'm not an IT guy.

So I've got a question about getting a Server or NAS.

Right now there are 3 of us working on the same local network, (the SolidEdge files are storend on one of the workstation laptops.) 

We want to move our database to a Windows SERVER/NAS so the others still can work, while the other (main) workstation is not around. 

My main question is that, which one is better for this situation, is a NAS (Synology with SSD-s) enough, or a Server would be better?

We just want to move our database to the Server/NAS without any additional softwares, (we just want to use shared folders)

What can we expect from the perfomance? Is the bottleneck going to be the network speed?

We are using ST7 rignt now, but we are about to upgrade to ST9

We are usually working with assemblies containing 1500-2500 parts.

Thank you

6 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge SERVER/NAS Which one is better?

[ Edited ]

take a look at attached presentation...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Knowledge-Base/Design-Collaboration-via-D...

We are testing this at the moment on a small scale and it is wunderfull... no server needed... all files a local.. so maximum speed.. and the new designmanager in ST9 is super..  once the files are indexed... it will find drawings whenever you hit save as (copy).

File locking scheme works great..  and the files are local (on your 3 workstations) and in the cloud, all synchronised.. 

performancewise wunderful... and we have a real slow internet connection   8 mb up / 1 down

Take a look and try it..

Succes,

Jan Bos

The Netherlands

User since Solid Edge V3.5 beta testing ST10

I would recommend a Windows Server.

Because only with the Windows Indexing Service you have the full power of Design Management.

Here a good video that shows Design Management in Detail:

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vecker
‎03-09-2017 10:40 AM

NAS will be slower and cheaper than actually keeping the files on a server.

Keeping files on the server it's self will always be faster than any other way for multiple users.

So you have to ask yourself. Are you willing to pay for the speed of opening and editing files?

There are many here that use NAS and feel it is sufficient. 

If you have high expectations of the SE users, give them all the speed you can.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vecker
‎03-09-2017 10:40 AM

Hi there @Vecker,

Take a look at this similar topic here.....

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/From-One-user-to-Two/m-p/388026#M27...

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thank you all for your help! Now we have the information!

We will probably get a server.

@Vecker Be aware that there are NAS systems that do use Windows Server as the OS and thus can provide the indexing needed to support Solid Edge BiDM...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10