Solid Edge SP Vs Solid Edge Insight Vs Solid Edge Insight XT Vs Teamcenter Vs Teamcenter Express

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Does anyone actually use any of these items for Configuration Management?  What are the differences between these?  I think that Solid Edge SP is replacing Solid Edge Insight XT.  How is this different than just the straight Solid Edge Insight?  Are they two different products?  Do you have to pay extra for the Solid Edge SP, now or is it included in your Solid Edge Classic license?

We are trying to get a handle on our configuration management issues here, and I welcome any suggestions on how to go about this.  I experimented long ago with Insight, but found it cumbersome to use at times.  We also had someone come in and demo Teamcenter, and that looked like an overblown nightmare.  It was looked so bad, that I would compare it to an ERP type system for CAD, and that would definitely have a huge impact on our small group as far as getting work accomplished.  If anyone has any experience with these products, please chime in.

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge SP Vs Solid Edge Insight Vs Solid Edge Insight XT Vs Teamcenter Vs Teamcenter Express

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I can help clear up some of this. From your comments on Teamcenter, I am guessing you have a fairly small number of engineers/IT staff. How big is your engineering team?

Next, Solid Edge for Sharepoint = Insight XT. These are one and the same. The product was originally called Insight XT (next generation of Insight technology) but for a variety of reasons I won't go into now, was quickly renamed to Solid Edge for Sharepoint.

So really, now you are down to Solid Edge SP vs Insight. Insight comes free with Classic and is used by a lot of folks. However, it has certain limitations. Solid Edge SP is an additional charge per seat ($1000-1500 US) but adds a lot of pretty great stuff. You can read more about it here: http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/sp/

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: Solid Edge SP Vs Solid Edge Insight Vs Solid Edge Insight XT Vs Teamcenter Vs Teamcenter Express

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Here is my take on the different options.  Basically it comes down to cost combined with need.  I will say that if I needed to just manage Solid Edge with Office docs and do Engineering Change Orders, then I would be using Solid Edge SP if I did it today (we use Insight now with VB customization for the ECO part).  If I needed multi-cad, robust BOM/Configuration support, multi-site or any other PLM module, I would be going with TeamCenter.  For our business, TeamCenter is what we should be migrating to due to our BOM/Configuration needs.

Solid Edge Insight (included with Classic)

• Solid Edge file manager based on SharePoint
  • Semi-auto change process
  • Good for workgroups
  • NOT A PDM SYSTEM!
  • Easy to implement
  • Easy to accept new versions

Solid Edge SP (was named Insight XT first release, add-on cost for Classic)

• Solid Edge PDM system based on SharePoint
  • Discreet BOM only
  • Automated change process
  • Not sure about scalability
  • Fairly easy to implement
  • Fairly easy to accept new versions

TeamCenter (TeamCenter Express is no more, replaced with RapidStart templates, cost for SEEC, cost for Author clients, cost for server component)

• Multi-CAD PDM/PLM system
  • Automated change system and customizable configuration rules
  • Multi-BOM supports CTO
  • Highly scalable
  • Moderate to hard to implement
  • Requires extensive testing before accepting new versions
  • Extra add-on capabilities like Project & Portfolio Management, Service Support, Quality Management, etc...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This new video has some good customer insights into Solid Edge SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJymTkeaxRw

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We currently have 13 licenses of Solid Edge, and about 18 engineers.  The problem is that we are a unique group in that sometimes we have projects that require multiple engineers working on a project and other times a single engineer is involved.  We also perform rapid turn designs where we are building quick one off parts, where the prototype is the product.  Other times we have designs where we are producing thousands of an item.  Due to this huge diversity of project types, we felt that a Teamcenter type solution might not be that great of an idea.