Solid Edge SP (sharepoint)

[ Edited ]

Hope everyone is having a good start to the new year.

I need to calculate what it would cost to set Trlby up on a "true" Network.

We have 2 seats of Solid Edge (Paul and myself) but Mike uses the Solid Edge Viewer and FREE Draft as well for QC. I have 2 other people that would also benefit from the Viewer as well.

So at every event or thread here that speaks about Networking, I never really pay much attention. Mostly because my addled 60 year old brain suffers from enough useless crap getting in the way.

But now with a new project in the offing, I'll need to be come a little better acquainted with all this. So here's my questions:

1). Is Solid Edge SP different then Classic? I have 2 classic licenses, but are they Sharepoint ready, or do I need to update them to an SP?  For some reason I thought all SE was ready for sharepoint.

2). What version of Sharepoint do I get?

3) Do I need Windows Server as well? And if so, what version and other stuff do I need to buy?

4). Minimum requirements need for the Server with only 2 SE licenses using it along with 3 or 4 other people doing simple daily work.

I'm looking for budgetary numbers here to use in a Business Model Prospectus.

I'm trying to do this research before contacting a local Network Service Company. I was also thinking of using my VAR too. But I feel I need to have a better handle on my needs first as well as general understanding of cost.

Finally I wish Seimens would publish a Solid Edge Network document to help in these issues. I know it's complicated to do so, but I couldn't even find any information regarding Solid Edge SP's requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

3 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge SP (sharepoint)

Bob, if you are talking about a network, then you are talking routers and wires. If you are talking data management for SE files, then we that's where Insight or SE SharePoint come in. Insight is included with classic, but your viewer folks would need a special license. If you wanted SE SharePoint, you would need licenses all around. Both require a Windows server license and a SQL server license which for a small site such as yours could be on the same server machine.
Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Ken,

No the physical Network is in place, but we're not using a dedicated Server. So there's a little bit of hardware setup knowledge needed to ensure SE doesn't suffer much.

It's understanding the difference between running SE within Insight and SharePoint that confuses me. Again I tried learning this off the Siemens website, and I'm either looking for the wrong info, or what I came across is all geared to those already in the know. I see this as the Classic Technology Company blunder by so many companies... they have the folks who know this stuff like the back of their hand, write the Data Sheets. Sounds all good, if I only had a clue as to what's important and what's not.

So that's my reason for hand holding here before contacting others. I was hoping that there were other small offices users on here who could shed light on their setups in order to help gauge my needs.

So question one... Insight or SharePoint?

I've read a little about Sharepoint, and understand I'll need a License from MS for each user, but I still can't find out about SE and SP.

Bob

Hi,

see my answers in Bold.

1). Is Solid Edge SP different then Classic? I have 2 classic licenses, but are they Sharepoint ready, or do I need to update them to an SP?  For some reason I thought all SE was ready for sharepoint.

"Solid Edge SP" is a separated product you can purchase.

"Insight" is included in the Solid Edge Classic

Both of them need SharePoint as there Baseplatform. So with both products you have the integration of Solid Edge in SharePoint. 

2). What version of Sharepoint do I get?

AFAIK you can make use of the cost free verseion of SharePoint. For "Insight" the "Search Server Express 2010" is the minimum.  All of our customers (>30)  user the free verseion.

It is only limited on some freatures but not in performance and/or database.

3) Do I need Windows Server as well? And if so, what version and other stuff do I need to buy?

Windows Server in Standard Edition and a MS-SQL Server Standard is the minimum. No support for Express editions or Small Business. Take the newest Version for Server and SQL. Solid Edge until now support Sharepoint 2010. Support of the newer Sharepoint version is under progress.

4). Minimum requirements need for the Server with only 2 SE licenses using it along with 3 or 4 other people doing simple daily work.

Just check the requirements of Microsoft for the Server and Sharepoint then you are fine.

The Viewer for Solid Edge modells and drawings is for free in "Insight" and can be used via WebBrowser. So for the people without Solid Edge it is very comfortable to get access to the Data.

The feedback of customers is, that the Sharepoint solution fulfills there requirements in TCO, Investment and easy learning. You can handle all of your data in Sharepoint and you can make your personal Google with Sharepoint. So you can find the needle in the haystack

Here is a little Video that shows it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaCMnN_WuM#t=131

So Sharepoint&Solid Edge is more than handling the CAD Data!

Kind regards

Stefan 

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de