Solid Edge ST4 - Best computer specifications

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi folks,

We are running ST4 at work and I am currently going to be replacing the machines at work because their current perfermance is not great. I need to know what processor solid edge  will take most advantage of in terms of performance....

The options are 

Intel Core i7-5820K (6C 3.3Ghz, 15MB cache HT) this will be overclocked.

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2623 v3 (4C, 3.0Ghz, Turbo, HT, 10M)

Intel Xeon E5 2630 v3 (8C HT, 20MB cache, 2.4 Turbo)

Any other recommendations are welcome.

All machines will have between 32GB-64GB of memory and a K4200 Nvidia Quadro Card and SSD.

thank you.

8 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST4 - Best computer specifications

MLombard
Retired

My personal preference is for the higher clock speed. I think with Xeons you are paying for reliability over performance, so that choice is up to you, but I pick performance. Memory and video look good.

Best of luck.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Do you know whether it supports dual processors?

MLombard
Retired

Some tasks are suited to multi-threading, and some are less so. Ordered parts aren't very multi-threaded (may make small percentage use of cores after the first core), but stuff like simulation and rendering are (should use high percentage of each core). Assemblies should take advantage of multiple threads.

There's a difference between dual processors, and multi-threaded, though. You can't get a computer that doesn't have multiple cores these days, though. If you have the choice between more cores, more processors, or more clock speed, it would depend on what kind of work you do. Rendering/analysis = more cores. Ordered modeling = more clock speed. If you're unsure, I think it would be safest to go with the faster clock speed. You can never go wrong with speed.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Phenom
Phenom

To me, it's all about the video card. If you can't roatate your model realtime, your time to finished drawing is huge.

I have found the typical limiting factor with when I have variable table and the graphic model open at the same time, the vid card is a bit slow to keep up.

I'm just about to get a new machine here. Budget will be 2K for Vid card, and 1.5K for the rest of the machine. Plan to go raid 0 solid state main drive(s). For clock speek I always go the one speed from the fastest available for price.

I never render, Screen shot is so much faster if the vid card can give you a good enough display.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Quote:

"I never render, Screen shot is so much faster if the vid card can give you a good enough display."

Wait till you get your hands on Keyshot.  Smiley Happy

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Smiley Sad Solid Edge foundation user here, expressing my Solid Edge Classic Keyshot license jealousy.

-Dylan Gondyke

Phenom
Phenom

it will be a long time before I can use keyshot. Until I can make proper bending tables for everything my company manufatures, I will not have Keyshot. I'm using the fundimental licence until the sheet metal work is complete. Because of bend table requirments, this will take me another year to catch up. If the built in bend table include back gage and stick out, I would get to use that a year sooner.

Experimenter
Experimenter

thanks for the feedback

End users are suffering when moving the model around, there is a big delay. Also a delay in opening too and this is on a 10Gig network with less than 15 users on it.