Solid Edge ST6 Computer Specification

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am about to purchase the following spec computer, will this be sufficient to smoothly run the CAD software.

Intel i5 4460 (3.2GHz, Quad Core) Processor

8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

1GB NVidia GeForce GTX 750 DDR5 

120GB Solid State 

2TB SATA Hard Drive.

Thanks for any help,

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST6 Computer Specification

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The GeForce is a game card and not supported for CAD use either by NVIDIA or Siemens PLM.  A NVIDIA Quadro K1100m or greater for a laptop and a K2200 or greater for a desktop would be a better (and supported) choice.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

The reason I have not gone for NVidia Quadro is due to limited budget. The desktop card you have stated is more than 4x the price of this graphics card.

Will the CAD software not use the GeForce card at all?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It may work OK most of the time, but if it doesn't you have no recourse to get it fixed as NVIDIA will not issue driver updates to fix issues using professional CAD software on a consumer card, and Siemens PLM may not specifically address any issues in Solid Edge that are only experienced on a consumer card.

So when you said you wanted a system that would run Solid Edge "smoothly", please know that there cannot be any gaurantee of that when using a consumer card.  It may work well most of the time, but you may experience graphics glitches or performance issue and all you can do to fix it is further reduce graphics features/performance in Solid Edge by "dumbing" down the graphics settings.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ok, thanks for the information.

Very useful.