Solved! Go to solution

Solid Edge ST6 - How to create a solid body from closed surfaces

Hi, I'm trying to create a body by stitching together some surfaces using command "stitch". After stitching, I tried to save the file as "step" file but a message tells me that there are no bodies.

Where is my error?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST6 - How to create a solid body from closed surfaces

You can stitch surfaces, but they stay surfaces. It's not because it looks like a closed box it is a body.

You can make a solid, bigger dan the wanted part and replace face to create your solid.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

The surfaces I created are curved and quite complicated in their geometry, so how can I make a bigger solid similar to the geometry i created?

[ Edited ]

dm91 wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to create a body by stitching together some surfaces using command "stitch". After stitching, I tried to save the file as "step" file but a message tells me that there are no bodies.

Where is my error?

Thanks.

When you stich surfaces together if they will contain a volume without any leak you will be prompeted to create a solid body; if the result of the stich doesn't contain a finite volume the open edges will be highlighted in dark red.

You can check at anytime for open edges with the tool "show not stiched edges" (it is under the stich button).

Sometimes you have to play with the stich tolerance and with the repair tool to obtain a solid.

If you can, share the model and I will take a look at it.

Francesco

To get that message it probably would'nt hurt to check "Heal Surfaces"

Jramsey85 wrote:

To get that message it probably would'nt hurt to check "Heal Surfaces"

When possible I prefer to work with tolerance rather than "heal" option.

Heal option does permanent geometry changes on the stitched surfaces.

My friend, who has solid edge st7, was able to stitch together the surfaces and to create a solid. He worked in "ordered" instead of "Synchronous", so I did the same operation in my solid edge st6 but I failed again. I tried to change tolerance and to heal surface, but no results.

Unfortunately I can't install on my pc the st7 version because it works only with 64 bit and I have a 32 bit system. And I can't open the file created by my friend because I can't open files modified in earlier versions of solid edge...

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author dm91
‎01-18-2016 11:16 AM

ST6 should be able to do the same operations; without any file we can't help you more.

Ask your friend to save the file in parasolid format and open it in your ST6 if you need the part already in solid.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author dm91
‎01-18-2016 12:18 PM

I dos it! After stitching surfaces I controlled the edges and then i had to use command "add body" and the solid appeared! Thanks for the answers!