Solid Edge ST6 freezes when trying to add a part to an assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

I recently updated from ST5 to ST6 and noticed that ST6 hangs up whenever I try to add a part from my part library to an assembly.

When the parts library pane opens, it automatically defaults to the training folder which contains Solid Edge parts. If I try to select any parts in that pane, ST6 freezes. I can however navigate to another folder if I don't try to select any of the parts in the training folder. However, ST6 freezes when I try to open a folder that only contains Solid Edge files. If I open a folder that contains both Solid Edge files and other folders or files, it will freeze when I try to select the Solid Edge files.

I have tried using a simplified assembly and still have the same problem. I am running Windows 7 Home.

7 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST6 freezes when trying to add a part to an assembly

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well aside from the Fact that Windows 7 Home is not supported, not sure what your issue could be besides possibly graphics chipset.  When you select a file from the library pane, a 3D window is shown in the bottom frame of the library tab.  If you do not have a good 3D graphics chipset, then that could be the issue.  Try setting your Solid Edge Graphics options to Backin Store and see if that resolves the issue, if not, then try Software Driven.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your response. I didn't think of the graphics chipset, and it does sort of make sense as I am trying to run ST6 on a laptop that is a couple years old now with somewhat lacking graphics. I followed your suggestion though of trying the Backing Store and Software Driven, and neither of them were able to resolve the issue.

I am able to open and rotate an existing assembly using the default graphics settings. However, even create a new assembly and try to add parts to it, I have the same issue. I'm leaning towards it being potentially some issue with Windows 7 Home Premium, but that really doesn't sit well with me.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps you should try a Repair on the installation...

Also something to try would be to drag a part from Windows Explorer into Assembly and see if you get the same "hang".

Thanks,
Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter

I haven't tried repairing the installation, though I have uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times.

Another good idea about the Windows Explorer approach. That worked, it doesn't seem to freeze when I add the part that way. It seems to be a reasonable work around for my purposes, but I am now even more intrigued by the problem.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Dumb question, but have you contacted your VAR/GTAC about it yet?

Thanks,
Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter

I haven't yet created a WebKey account and it might take a couple days to get the information to be able to do so. I was hoping for either a quick solution or workaround and am reasonably content with the workaround you suggested. I have started to go down that path, and I'll post whatever solution or resolution I arrive at.

Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe all the information you need to create a Webkey can be found in the "About Solid Edge" link located on the Help form.  Look for the Technical Support Information box.

Thanks,
Ken