Did you mean: 

Solid Edge ST6 installs fine but crashes at first attempt to run it

N/A

Hi folks,

It appears that after successful installation SE ST6 crashes whenever I try to:

1) Create a new part,
2) Create a new assembly,
3) Open an existing part,
4) or just do anything that can be started from the very first window you get after running the SE main program.

This is a student edition, by the way, running on a regular Dell Optiplex 7010 with lots of memory and NVIDIA GForce card. The crashlogf.txt file's stack trace starts and ends with addresses within ntdll.dll library. Nothing else to indicate the nature of the problem. Will appreciate any help on that matter.

Jerry.

8 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST6 installs fine but crashes at first attempt to run it

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
The problem is probably on the graphic card driver. We had another student with the same problem: crash when the SE start window appears. As soon as we went to Control Panel>Device Manager and disabled the Nvidia driver, SE run fine. So, try to install different drivers (may not be the latest ones, as the drivers are general and may not be the best for your specific card).

Re: Solid Edge ST6 installs fine but crashes at first attempt torun it

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
You could also try setting the Solid Edge backing store before launching
Solid Edge.
Attached is a registry file that will set the SE backing store. Simply
double-click to install.
Regards,
-Dave
On 29/10/2013 10:31, edocf014 wrote:
>
> The problem is probably on the graphic card driver. We had another
> student with the same problem: crash when the SE start window appears.
> As soon as we went to Control Panel>Device Manager and disabled the
> Nvidia driver, SE run fine. So, try to install different drivers (may
> not be the latest ones, as the drivers are general and may not be the
> best for your specific card).
>
>

N/A
Unfortunately disabling the NVidia driver didn't help - same crash, same error message but in a lousy resolution for a change.
Dave, what is this backing store? And I don't see any attachment...
Jerry.

Siemens Phenom
Sorry for the missing file -- depending on which interface is used to access the forum you may or may not see the file attachments. Posting a link to where you can download the file: https://raw.github.com/uk-dave/SolidEdge/master/solid_edge_backing_store.reg

The backing store defines how the graphics display is processed.

-Dave

N/A
Unfortunately, this is not the graphics driver not the backing store options. The registry entries didn't help and neither did performing all the outstanding Windows 7 updates, the system was nagging me about for quite some time.
Could it be that the culprit is the fact that I have Windows 7 Home Premium? I know it's not officially supported, but still, it shouldn't crash like that...
I even tried to install SE within a Windows 7 instance running inside the Oracle VirtualBox under Ubuntu Linux (this should shield both Windows and all the Windows apps from any graphics driver issues) - to no avail. The effect is the same crash accompanied by identical error msg with identical content of the crashlog as when run natively. What the heck could be going on here?
Is there a way to get any help from Siemens on this?
J.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
It should run on Winodows 7 Home edition. Do you have another computer where you can install SE? Does it runs without problems in that computer? Just to put away the possibility of you're using a corrupted installation file.

Siemens Phenom
I don't see anywhere you stating if this was 32- or 64-bit Home Premium.
If 32-bit Home Premium please run the following command from the command
line with administrator privileges to enable the /3GB switch:
BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072
Regards,
-Dave

On 31/10/2013 03:33, jerry.kakol@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, this is not the graphics driver not the backing store
> options. The registry entries didn't help and neither did performing all
> the outstanding Windows 7 updates, the system was nagging me about for
> quite some time.
>
> Could it be that the culprit is the fact that I have Windows 7 Home
> Premium? I know it's not officially supported, but still, it shouldn't
> crash like that...
>
> I even tried to install SE within a Windows 7 instance running inside
> the Oracle VirtualBox under Ubuntu Linux (this should shield both
> Windows and all the Windows apps from any graphics driver issues) - to
> no avail. The effect is the same crash accompanied by identical error
> msg with identical content of the crashlog as when run natively. What
> the heck could be going on here?
>
> J.
>
>

N/A
Thanks xufce7! That finally did the trick. It was the memory issue. I couldn't run BCDEDIT since I dual boot to Linux and Windows from GRUB bootloader. But your advice got me thinking, so I acquired the 64bit version of Windows 7 and installed it first in VirtualBox. SolidEdge run without a crash, however the main graphics display didn't show anything and didn't even refresh - clear sign of OpenGL running on a non-existing visual. After enabling the experimental 3D acceleration SE crashed but then I applied this reqistry patch and only then I have finally saw the content of the modelling window and drew my first few lines. The screen flickered though and refreshed in a inconsistent way, leaving rectangular tiles of previous content here and there. I've just upgraded to Virtual Box 4.3 and I hope things will improve. Meanwhile I tried to install the same Windows 7 from the same ISO image on it's native Windows partition (hosting 32 bit version of Win7). It failed miserably, ending with a completely useless message: "Setup was unable to configure Windows to run on your hardware". Isn't it an irony? Windows runs better under Linux than natively. So now my Windows partition is ruined but at least I have SE on Linux and don't have to dual boot anymore!
Thanks all for your great advises, couldn't get here without you guys!