Solid Edge ST7 compatibility with NX?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

My company has tasked me with finding a 3D CAD solution compatible with our manufacturers system (NX 8.5). Would Solid Edge be capable of modifying files from NX?

We would also like to build a library of components from our manufacturer and customers to be able to offer an in-house design solution to accommodate bespoke modifications to existing designs.

Having only worked in a 2D environment (Bentley), my 3D knowledge is very limited, so your help and advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

M.

12 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST7 compatibility with NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

Solid Edge is very capable of modifying files from NX (as well as just about any other CAD file type).

Before digging into specifics, can you supply some information such as what company you work for and where you are located?  I only ask so that we can get you in touch with someone in your area who might be able to help educate you further on how Solid Edge can meet your needs.  You can email me privately if you don't want to share publicly.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Kevin

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response.

I work for IMS Limited in the UK (East Midlands). We are an importer and distributor of products to the commercial vehicle, military and industrial markets in the UK and Ireland. The majority of the products we supply are HGV braking, axle and suspension systems.

I was speaking to a Solidworks representative, when I said I would be reviewing Solid Edge, he sent me this message...

Just a quick note, although Solid Edge is made by the same company as NX (i.e. Siemens) it will not be able to bring in the feature history so you will not gain any advantage when compared to SOLIDWORKS.  If fact you will be a little worse off because Solid Edge does not have feature recognition whereas SOLIDWORKS does.

Is he correct in his statement, or is he spinning me a line?

I look forward to your reply,

Marcus.

Phenom
Phenom

Oof. He is not correct and he is ignoring SolidWorks' crippled and useless implementation of direct editing, vs Solid Edge's now-mature Synchronous Technology, which is what you'd be using to make most of your edits on NX models, which open directly in Solid Edge.

-Dylan Gondyke

Siemens Phenom

Marcus,

Your SW rep is spinning you a line.  First of all, the fact that NX and Solid Edge come from the same company offers both products advantages when working with each other's data. 

Also, Solid Edge doesn't need "feature recognition" in order to edit the data.  We have something WAY more powerful called Synchronous Technology.  There is no comparison between the capabilities of each.  Solid Edge wins hands down (not spinning you a line, here, just a fact Smiley Happy )

Again, in order to understand the big picture and your needs, I would recommend we have someone contact you directly to understand your business needs and go from there.  I will forward this to the appropriate people.

Feel free to continue to ask specific questions on this Community site in the meantime or email me directly, if you like.  I, and the amazing users on this site will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Grayson

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks Dylan Smiley Happy

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

When you are talking about utilizing others' files, you also have to consider file & configuration management.

Both Solid Edge (SE) and SOLIDWORKS (SW) can open NX .prt files.  But, each of them actually performs a conversion in the background via Parasolid.  The difference, though, is that when the Parasolid version of NX and Solid Edge are in alignment, the NX file is brought into SE as "starter" geometry.  That means, if the original NX part is updated, the changes will appear in SE. There is no link between the original NX model and SW.

In both SE and SW, the imported NX model is a "dumb" solid.  It is a single feature in the history tree and therefore cannot be edited using the parameters created in NX.  SW has a feature recognizer that attempts to recreate the history tree.  It is not very robust.  SE had a feature recognizer, but it became obsolete once Synchronous Technology (ST) was introduced.  With ST, it doesn't matter that the imported model is a dumb solid.  It can be edited with ST, including adding new parameters to control shape and size.

For both SE and SW, any changes added to the model are saved as SE or SW files.  NEW FILES ARE CREATED.  You cannot use SE or SW to edit an NX file and save it back to the original NX file.  Well, you can try to export it and overwrite it, but then you will lose all the design intent of the original NX file.  You will get a dumb NX file.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you all, you've been very helpful, I think Solid Edge will be my best bet for now, I will not need to save the files back to NX.

I think the subscription service will be a good start for us, that way, we can upgrade to NX should there ever be a need in the future.

Can anyone in the UK recommend a training facility for Solid Edge in the Midlands?

Thanks,

Marcus.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
The only reseller I know of in the UK is Prion Cutting Edge. I don't know where they're located, I just know they are based somewhere in the UK.

Siemens Phenom

Yes, I believe "the ball is rolling" on getting Prion Cutting Edge in contact.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Grayson