Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge ST8 and ST4 on one server. Floating licences

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Aquaform In regards to your NX license server, you can run an NX and Solid Edge license server on the same machine.

What you cannot do is run two NX license servers on the same machine.  

To clarify, you can run multiple different product license servers on a single machine.  What you cannot do is run multiple license servers of the same product on a single machine.

Innovator
Innovator
@uk_dave, I think you've got it correct over there. I've not yet tried it, but I guess both sentinel and flexera have linux based binaries, thought it would work. We didn't even try this since for us we run the win8 guest, exclusively as a license server for ST8, an FEA add-on and MFiles server for geomagic. So, I can still try during the weekend with the flexera s/w and sentinel drivers... but I guess that SiemensPLM should provide linux binaries for license servers also for SE and not jsut for NX as some have reported.
Best regards,
Naresh

Experimenter
Experimenter
Has anyone tried using WINE to get this to work. All our servers are Linux boxes so not providing a linux option given that Flexnet provides linux licence servers is a real problem that needs fixing by Siemens. I am going to be very angry if I have to buy a windows PC just to plug the dongle into.

Siemens Phenom

If cost is an issue, then make one of your Solid Edge Windows workstations as the license server.  The overhead for the license management is minimal and would go unoticed by the end user.

Legend
Legend

Gentlemen.

It is perfectly possible to have multiple SE license servers on the same MAC.
Start the installation with the most recent license server and install this server in the default location.
configure as normal and get SE running.

Install the second required SE license server. This time, install in a different folder.
Once installed, open LMTOOLS and configure the license server, make sure it uses a different port N#.
Distribute the license file and check if SE is running.

Voila, you have yourself a multi license server

Untitled.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Marc Boom
marc.boom@outlook.com
Highlighted

Innovator
Innovator

@PJM

I chickened out of experimenting with a pure linux based system. As @marcboom mentioned, I too have multiple licenses being served from that machine. So I just bought a license of Win8.1 and installed it in one VM of hypervisor. Now, its upgraded to Win10. It keeps any load, which is minimal as I too can attest, to stay away from my CAD machines. When I need to unhook the computer, I just take the license with me and then the next day, put it back in. We'll see how it pans out in the future.

The only issue is to keep the hypervisor copy updated and it causes a headache many times. It would just hang in there for a reboot with windows updates and unless you open up a remote console and reboot, even the license server will just hang in there. Whenever, the hypervisor itself needs to be updated, I need to pass on data on each usb dongle to the VM so that it knows that the dongle attached to the VM. So all in all its a workable solution for me, but not the best. Hope this helps you.

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom

@marcboom You are doing this for two Solid Edge versions that both use the same selmd?And you have truly verified that both Solid Edge versions are running?  How did you get multiple instances of the selmd to run?  When I try your suggestion I get the following:

7:54:28 (selmd) FlexNet Licensing version v11.12.0.0 build 136775 i86_n3
7:54:28 (selmd) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 32 Exit reason 9
7:54:32 (lmgrd) selmd exited with status 32 (Exited because another server was running)
7:54:32 (lmgrd) MULTIPLE "selmd" license server systems running.
7:54:32 (lmgrd) Using Task Manager, stop selmd and run lmreread
7:54:32 (lmgrd)
7:54:32 (lmgrd) This error probably results from:
7:54:32 (lmgrd) 1. Another copy of the license server manager (lmgrd) is running.
7:54:32 (lmgrd) 2. Another copy of the vendor daemon is running.
7:54:32 (lmgrd) 3. The locking mechanism(s) were removed by an
7:54:32 (lmgrd) outside program.
7:54:32 (lmgrd)

Even though both lmtools and selmds are in different folders, a different port is used for the second license, etc., all as you suggest,

Legend
Legend

Well…. I haven’t done anything special.

Just made sure each daemon is uniquely named and is running from its own folder.

And yes, both SE version can run (together…).

AS you can see, the ST2 version (used for legacy Teamcenter Express operations) is running on a ST3 license file.

The other license server is running an ST8 license.

As far as I member, starting from ST4 license are not downward compatible anymore. This is the reason for having both license servers.

SE license ST2.jpg

SE license ST8.jpg

SE license FlexLM 1.jpg

SE license FlexLM 2.jpg

SE license FlexLM file.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Marc Boom
marc.boom@outlook.com

Siemens Phenom

Ah, but you are using ST2 and ST8 which use two different daemons so is a valid configuration.

However, starting with ST4 we changed our daemon. So to the original poster's question of running both ST4 and ST8 your solution will not work.

All the time the daemons are different we can use your solution because at that point it is like installing different solutions.

Siemens Phenom

Just to clarify further, and as stated earlier in this thread, it makes sense that you cannot run the same daemon multiple times.

If it were possible to run the same daemon multiple times on different ports on the same server what would then prevent an unscrupulous user from taking a single floating seat of product and hosting it multiple times under multiple daemons/ports?