Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid Edge ST8 and ST4 on one server. Floating licences

Innovator
Innovator

@uk_dave

Thats understood and correct, however, is it not the job of the dongle to check out the license? So if one has a single dongle, like in my case, I can only run one seat at a time, and if I need to move it from the desktop to laptop to take home, I need to check it out. My license server has all its USB ports used up by these dongles... thats a very tough situation each time the VM goes down (the good old microsoft updates, or the hypervisor goes down), I need to pass data on each single dongle to the license server, a tedious process. I hope s/w vendors could come up with something smarter than chewing up all the resources such as this.

Ah, just before someone pipes in, these are all for different s/w, not ST8. We're not even very productive with ST8, given that we're using SE for just over a year now.

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@nashero are we still talking Solid Edge floating licenses here or nodelocked?

FYI, for Solid Edge floating licenses it is not neccesasry to have a dongle.  You could switch your Solid Edge floating products to MAC address.

Further, for Solid Edge floating, either with or without a dongle, you can use license borrwing to check out out the Solid Edge license to the laptop and are *not* required to move the dongle from the server to the laptop.

Innovator
Innovator
@uk_dave, perhaps I'm not setup well. We have a floating license, but I don't have it attached to the MAC address of the license server but run the demon to check it from the dongle. Checking it from the dongle is truly terrible, since each time the VM goes down, and it does consistently when msft does upgrades. What should I do to have it run from the mac address? Here's an image of the license server VM running.
Best regards,
Naresh

Innovator
Innovator

the quickLicenseServer.png reply doesn't allow images to be linked. BTW with my setup I don't need to move the dongle, that, the VM will not allow, all hell will break lose with the VM if I do that. I use regular borrowing from the server to do that.

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@nashero Contact your Solid Edge sales person to discuss switching your Solid Edge license from floating dongle to floating by Unique Host ID Method.

Highlighted

Innovator
Innovator
@uk_dave What are the apparent benefits of floating by Unique Host ID?

I don't think that unique host ID method is so nice for me, esp. suppose I have a dead server? The HW_key is better for now. I'll figure out a way to automatically pass USB parameters to the VM when it reboots after updates.
Best regards,
Naresh

Legend
Legend

@naresh.

I want back to the beginning of the thread and looked at your question again.

Assuming you have enough license, it would (unless there has been a change again in the license server software) be no problem to run both ST4 & 8 from the same license server.

Just make sure you have the same (ST8) license file on each machine.

If you have changed license feature between ST4 & 8, having stuff with ST4 which you do not have any more with ST8, than you are forced to switch license server each time.

Running the license server on either a VM or not, with hard or software dongle will not make a difference….

As far as I know, the license server for NX should not infer with the SE license server.

--------------------------------------------------
Marc Boom
marc.boom@outlook.com

Innovator
Innovator
@marcboom

I don't have ST4, and have a single license of ST8... so I wouldn't know. But having a single license does make me shuffle a bit. Sigh! For instance today, I've got a borrowed license on the notebook till tomorrow, when I'll check it in!

Now even, Rhino, the surfacing software I use, is forced to use such things, autodesk has purchased the two most important plugins for Rhino that we use, TSplines and VSR surfaces, can you believe it that using those too from two computers is an equally tiresome job, of checking out the licenses from one computer and checking them into another. We don't have NX, its just way out there in price, but I'm thinking, if the "basic out of the box NX" has the tools like VSR and TSplines? And added to it, is the huge differential that we in EU have to pay for s/w w.r.t. to the US.
I wish S/W vendors could come out of such arcane stone aged license restrictions and price differentials. Sigh!....
Best regards,
Naresh

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello again,

I didn't expect that anybody bring this topic alive. Situation for now looks different - I have 4 ST8 floating licences, which are MAC attached. There is still ST4 licence, but we didn't use it. Of course if there will be posibility to run it alive, someone will use it. But - ST8 and ST4 licences must be runned in same time. Without switching.