Solved! Go to solution

Solid Edge ST8 and ST4 on one server. Floating licences

Hallo,

I have a question, and I can't find any answer - Is there any possibility to start two solid licences on one server? I tried to configure LMtools and start ST4 and ST8 on one PC, but one eliminate another. Another problem is NX floating licence, which I have to start on this PC.

Are there any option to start server for multiple programs on one PC? Maybe other options - raspberry Pi 2? Anyone tried?

Thanks for help.

28 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST8 and ST4 on one server. Floating licences

Why wouldl you try to install both an ST4 and ST8 license onto a server?  An ST8 license is downward compatible with ST4.

But to answer your question, no it is not possible to run two SE license servers on the same machine.  You cannot run two sessions of the Solid Edge license daemon at the same time.

Why? becouse i have 2 floating ST8 licences and 1x ST4, and I have to run them on the same time.

Second part - Why not? runing two demons on can't work? even using different ports?

How about NX?

No, it is not possible to run multiple daemons under different ports.

Although you have a legitimate reason for wanting to do this, if you step back and think about this, it makes sense.  If it were possible to run the daemon multiple times on different ports on the same server what would then prevent an unscrupulous user from taking a single floating seat of product and hosting it multiple times under multiple daemons/ports?

I would also expect NX to follow this same behaviour for the same security reasons but haven't personally validated this.

[ Edited ]

Ok. Then, when I'm looking to start them both, I have to run another machine. Have You tried Raspberry, on maybe some Linux distributions? 

I'm tring to do it with lowest possible budget.

Yes, to accomplish your task you will need to set up to separate physical license server machines.

No you cannot use non-Windows OS for Solid Edge licensing -- the selmd.exe file is a Windows only application :-(

[ Edited ]

Rereading the post, I just noticed your other comment about lowest possible budget.

If trying to save money, there is nothing to stop you from running the license manager on a user's workstation.  You would just need to make sure that the user never powered off his workstation (logging out is okay).

The license server does not have to be server hardware per se.

[ Edited ]

I don't really understand this one... why cannot a license server run on a linux machine and the application on a networked host? The license serving is done using TCP/IP, it wouldn't care what the license server is running on.

You should be easily be able to download the flexsoft licensing server from their site, install it on a linux machine and use that. The number of licenses lies in the usb dongle and does not really care about this. Although I've not tried it, but was tempted to do this... in our case we use a hypervisor based on linux, in which in a win8 guest OS, we have the license server running. It connects to the usb dongle on the host-linux machine and serves the license properly. It runs at work as well as through the VPN.

If you want, I can easily install the linux drivers from flexsoft in a linux guest on the hypervisor and test it out. It should have no issues.

Oh, it will not work with Raspberry Pi, there are no linux binaries for that platform from flex, but it should on a x86 machine, you can get the binaries from flexsoft.

Naresh

Best regards,
Naresh

Hmmm, ok. Interesting, but I have machine with windows on it. Linux on raspberry pi 2? Ubuntu MATE. But, as you said - it's not x86 platform. Linux was an option, when i can put it on raspberry.

If starting two licences on one machine is impossible, I'm going to start them aprart on two servers.
Next problem is NX. So I have to do something with it.
Third server? It's stupid.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aquaform
‎10-28-2015 04:46 AM

[ Edited ]

@nashero sorry but this will not work.  This is because the Flex software then has to call a secondary .exe file that is an individual software vendor's provided daemon that communicates licensing coding to the overall Flex server.  It is this daemon .exe provided by Solid Edge that is Windows specific, *not* the overall Flex software.  This .exe file is *not* part of the core Flex software.

You can certainly install and run the Flex license software on Linux but how would you get the Solid Edge provided selmd.exe file, which is Windows compatible only, to run on Linux?

If you can figure out how to get the Windows only selmd.exe which called by Flex to run on Linux then you can do what you state.  Until then Solid Edge license server is Windows only.