Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge ST8 network speed issues (file inspection)

Experimenter
Experimenter

So we have a business here with a server and multiple computers on a domain. The ST8 Solid Edge software resides on each users computer but pulls the license from the server. The issue that I am having is Solid Edge seems to be slowing my network transfer speed down.  When we copy files from different computers on the network to folders on the server we are seeing extremely slow transfer speed rates (in the kilobyte). Our main IT person has detected that the server license installed does some sort of file inspection and this is what seems to be slowing the entire server down. Has anyone ever noticed this and is there some sort of fix for this? This is causing major issues when trying to copy files from user computers to our main server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Betreff: Solid Edge ST8 network speed issues (file inspection)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @ScottEuclid

are the confident that the Se lciense server software is the issue?

Or could it be any antivirus software?

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter
He is a pretty sharp guy so if he said it was an license server issue I would tend to believe he is right. I am not aware of any sort of "file inspection" process but it appears that something like this must be running in the background from Sold Edge.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

How are you doing the copying from the client to the server?  If you are using Windows Explorer then this has nothing to do with Solid Edge.  If you are using Solid Edge to do a Save As from the client to te server, then there could be something Solid Edge related.

Experimenter
Experimenter

The copying of files is not associated with solid edge. I am saying if we copy any files from a computer to the server we are experiencing slow transfer rates. I realize this is not solid edge directly but he said, as stated above, it has something to do with solid edge doing some sort of file inspection process. Maybe there is something from the server license side of solid edge that is always running and slowing down the network??? This is how I understand what he is saying. This is happening on multiple computers and he says he is sure it is related to solid edge.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If files are not going through Solid Edge, then there is nothing to do with the license manager. 

We have absolutely *nothing* in place in ST8 to monitor and check Solid Edge file types outside of Solid Edge.

Sorry, but your slow file copies are for a different reason other than the license manager.  Perhaps anti-virus?

Re: Solid Edge ST8 network speed issues (file inspection)

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator
Have you tried your file copy with the license server offline? That would be the fastest and surest proof.

Experimenter
Experimenter
No we have not. Sounds like a good idea to try. Thanks.

Genius
Genius

My guess is your performance issue is due to the nature of Solid Edge .par/.psm/.asm/.dft  files, not Solid Edge itself. Solid Edge produces a lot of small files which tend to copy a lot slower than a single large file. This is due to Windows overhead and the fact that data stored in a single large file can be written sequentially to disk whereas small files get scattered (randomly) all over the disc.

- use SSD server storage for better random read/write performance

- leave enough free space on your discs 

- disable antivirus for SE files

Experimenter
Experimenter

If you are using Windows Explorer then do not do anything with the solid edge with it. If you want to use Solid Edge to save from client to server, there may be some solid edge related.

Norton Support