Solid Edge ST9 Floating License?

I am looking to share a license of solid edge ST9. The license will be shared between 2 PC's running Windows 7, connected with a local network. Currently, there is no server between the two computers. The goal is to be able to use solid edge on both computers, but not at the same time.

I was looking into installing a second hard drive into one of the machines, and sharing it across the network, allowing both computers access the shared files from that drive. I was wondering if there was a way to share the license through that drive, if anyone has tried this before, or what other options there are?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

3 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge ST9 Floating License?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you get a floating license, the FlexLM software that manages the license can be installed on either machine and serve the license but you need to insure that the machine that host it is always turned on and does not go to sleep.

Without getting a floating license, there is no way to share the license between two machines with two different users.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Thanks,

Also, is there any limit to the amount computers you can share the license with so long as only one computer is actively using it at a time?

And, does anyone know the best way to share the actual files between the computers without using a server? Would making one of the hard drives on a computer visable to the other one allow them to both access the main CAD files?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

With floating licensing, there is no limit to the number of PC's that can potentially access it other than they must be on your network.

You can easily share files from a location on the hard drive of one PC with the other/s by "Sharing" a folder on the drive and providing the user accounts access.  Then the other PC's can create a Network Location to that share and can use it just like it was local.

Again, just like the floating licensing, the PC that hosts the share must be on and not go to sleep all the time.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10