Solved! Go to solution

Solid Edge Tip Trick of the moment 3:16 PM IST Mar-05 2015

This is complimentary to Matt Lombard's ongoing series on Solid Edge tips and tricks in the Blog section and thought this would be a great place to share a new tip so that people who visit the forum but do not see the Blog section often might as well get good visibility on the great collection of Solid Edge tidbits being made available on this community site.

Young designers in the middle of a Solid Edge session during a training recently just walked away from the workstations when it was lunch time and since i was fasting, thought of moving around and check what files were left unsaved.

One way of knowing was the Undo icon that was grayed out. Then i found both saved and unsaved files had Undo grayed out. As i started looking for a more convincing clue like the text editors from the dark old days of DOS viz. Edit and Turbo C and even modern programs like Visual Studio which display a star besides the file name in the title bar for unsaved files.

Exploring further, bumped into the ribbon's View tab, Window - Switch Windows which had all open files listed with little thumbnails, and Yippee !! - the star was seen shining in all its glory.

I have illustrated this tip with a little video and shared on this page.

http://www.surfandcode.in/2015/03/solid-edge-video-quick-tip-021.html

~Tushar Suradkar

www.SurfAndCode.in

9 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tushar
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Solid Edge Tip Trick of the moment 3:16 PM IST Mar-05 2015

That's funny -- That switch windows UI has been in Solid Edge for something like 8 years now -- and I never noticed the STAR. Funny how little things can fly under your radar. Thanks for pointing it out. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

I didn't see it, maybe because my filenames are too long to fit on the icon. But it gave me an idea- it would be nice if hovering on the switch button gave you a drop down list of open files that you could select. Then it's only one click to switch files, a great thing for the mouse-ravaged wrist. I usually use Ctrl-tab for that reason.
Using SE since V12, 2002

[ Edited ]

The star is a Freemason symbol perhaps. Cat Wink

We programmers while 'maintaining' heaps of code do this routinely:

"Cut through the outer shell and find a meaning; cut through that meaning and find another; under it, if you dig deep enough, you may find a third, a fourth -- who shall say how many teachings?"

@dcstaplesthe asterisk appears to have descended from a much older version of Solid Edge when it was perhaps placed more prominently in the UI and eventually tucked away under the Switch Windows ribbon group.

~Tushar

I thought I would see that for myself.  So I opened a Solid Edge assembly and made a change.  However, that star does not appear even though SE is asking me if i want to save the changes when I go to close the assembly.  Maybe it is because I am not a Freemason!

What kind of change did you make ?

It has to be a significant change like adding a part to the assembly or changing the view style from say Wireframe to Shaded, etc.

If the change is a minor like rotating the model view, then the star won't appear since Solid Edge does not see this as worth saving.

Also, you mentioned you 'opened' an assembly. This is necessary and OK in your case.

If a new assembly is created, it won't have the star just because it is un-saved yet.

The new file has to be saved first and then a significant change be made so it is flagged un-saved.

~Tushar

Actually, a new assembly will show the star even if it has never been saved, as long as you do something major like adding a part as you noted.

I did the following:

1. Open an assembly.
  2. Edit a part in place and change some features.
  3. Close and return back into the assembly.
  4. Click to close the assembly -- Solid Edge asks me if I want to save the changes.

Actually I realise now that the filename is too long to be seen in full and if you hover over it to see it in full the star does not appear.

I tried it with a single part with a short name and the star appears, though.  However, if you hover over it the star does not appear.

So if the filenames are too long then there is no way of telling at a glance.

That's what I thought was happening to me. That's why I suggested the a list format version to pop up when you hover the mouse over the Switch Windows button. The list should include enough characters to show long paths.
Using SE since V12, 2002

@lkingadditionally I'd love to have little cross marks to close files selectively as below:

This has already been posted in the Close Multiple Files topic and has relevance here: