Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge University 2018? At PLM World?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wonder what if anything is in store for us this year, after last year's disappointing events.  Did see one thing interesting.  Having attended PLM World years ago, I am still on their email list.  PLM World 2018 has a connection called "Solid Edge University" which is not in last years offerings (PLM World 2017 web page is still up).  Wonder if that is how they will handle it this year.  It is only 2 days, but that includes 1-1/2 days of breakout/hands on stuff.  I will be watching for the full agenda to be published, hopefully before the early bird discounts expire!  Anyone from Siemens care to comment?  Is this going to be the real SEU for this year after last year's disappointing programs?  C'mon guys, lets put the "university" back in SEU!

30 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge University 2018? At PLM World?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I submitted a request to present. All I can say is that, it's complicated.

The SEU at PLM World:

From my very limited understanding, is that it will be like it was when Solid Edge had a seat at PLM World years before.  It'll be in the smallest of rooms in the back corner of the conference center and you'll be looked at weird for not wearing a coat and tie to the event.

The only good news is that SEU at PLM World 2018 is being advertised and marketed more than it ever has in the past.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

At least it may be an attempt to crawl back up out of the abyss that SEU fell into last year.  We could use this thread or start a new one and everyone could list out their suggestions for SEU now before the agenda is finalized.  Maybe with some constructive input in a timely fashion they will listen and possibly even incorporate some of it.  Hoping I can work around some issues and make it out there if the agenda looks good.  Wish it were after the end of our fiscal year, and not 3 weeks before the end!  If I hadn't wasted part of my training money on SEU last fall, it would not be a problem.  Unfortunately I don't know if I can get an addendum to the budget.

First suggestion:  When demonstrating new productivity features have a second screen going side by side with the previous version and demonstrate performing the same exercise "the old way".  That would clarify the great new improvements.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

C'mon guys, lets get this thread going.  I am seeing that some people have read it, let's start the suggestions bandwagon.  Can't complain that they aren't giving us what we want if we don't tell them what we want.

Suggestion number 2:  Run it a day longer than it is currently booked for.  If I am going to travel 2200 miles, 2-1/2 days of classes and Hands on time is 66% more valuable than 1-1/2 days.  For not much more money.

On a side note, if you want to see me in a coat and tie, you will be very disappointed.  You have to get married or buried for that to happen!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Good to see a thread on this topic!....thanks @JTROANOKE

Although, having no exposure to what happens at a PLM World event, but only based on others feedback. I find it hard to get excited about, certainly without any OFFICIAL announcements around here, to the user base that would/should attend [even worse at such short notice] such a thing. Plus, this could be their one big "travel to" event for the year, certainly so, and harder for, international travellers to consider in this way.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

I would also like to know what siemens has planned for this year as far as solid edge university is concerned. This would be our one big travel event for the year. Me and my team work on Solid Edge automation all day every day. So i would like to see the developer day come back and the round table sessions with the different environment teams. 

The hands on sessions are a nice to have but that can be handled thru training videos. What i want is to provide my team with access to the experiences of previous developer days. As well as being exposed to the experiences that other users have had well doing similar work.

It would be nice to understand their thinking behind all of this. If we are not going to get these types of previously provided benefits then just let everyone know so we can be part of the conversation.

The value and meeting and explaining your companies specific needs to a solution provider has unmeasurable value.

Phenom
Phenom

Fellow Edgers,

Don't forget there is a PLM World community section. If you have questions about the 2018 event it might behoove you to ask your questions there!

Here's the link to PLM World 2018 registration page. This page does show a section for Solid Edge University (2-days) and has pricing. This is not a Siemens link so it takes you out of the community to the PLM World website.

Phenom
Phenom

@swertel Having chaired the NX Special Interest Group (SIG) for many years, in the past now, yes things are a bit complicated when it comes to presenting and submitting an abstract. This is a global event so there are people from all over the world attending. That means you could have your competitors sitting in the forum as you present. So, to protect yourself and your company there are procedures and processes to submitting abstracts and getting them approved.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Actually, I was going through the process to submit an abstract and get approval to present because all of the PLM World emails and marketing material mentioned the Solid Edge track.  But, when I went to submit my abstract, Solid Edge was not an available selection, so I did what anyone who wants free admission to the event would do, I sent an email to PLM World.

Then it got complicated.

I'm actually still waiting to hear back if I'm going to be allowed to present.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

All,

There will a Solid Edge University event at this year's PLM World event in Phoenix. Stay tuned for a complete agenda.

We will also be hosting SEU events in multiple locations within the United States, as well as globally, in 2018. We are in the prcoess of finalizing the details, such as locations and timing of the events, now and will post that information as soon as it becomes available.

Looking forward to seeing you at one of our SEU events this year!