Solid Edge View Spacing

Phenom
Phenom

Here's a case of a 100+ yrs old engineering company where CAD standards are 'worshiped'.

Maintaining space between drawing views was one such standard that I demonstrated them via a macro in an attempt to win a contract for migrating their AutoCAD LISP routines to modern .Net programs for Solid Edge.

02.png

First time in my career as a programmer, this little macro humbled me, for the coding and geometry was trickier than I had thought.

The macro is available for direct download on this page. No tutorials to wade through Robot wink  Also read about usage, video, limitations, copy icon for ribbon button, etc. before downloading.

Question for Edgers: What do you think should be the ideal spacing between drawing views ? What rules of thumb or any scientific formula or judgement do you use for deciding spacing between drawing views. Please share your best practices about drawing view spacing and layout in general.

~Tushar Suradkar

www.CADVertex.com

7 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge View Spacing

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You gotta wonder about places that overly concern themselves with drafting standards that evolved mainly for pencil and paper drafting where you can't just move stuff when necessary.

Maybe "readabilty" is not specific enough and too subjective but that is my standard for view spacing.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

I second that. Reminds me of a joke:

The new bride is making her first big dinner for her husband and tries her hand at her mother's brisket recipe, cutting off the ends of the roast the way her mother always did. Hubby thinks the meat is delicious, but says, "Why do you cut off the ends — that's the best part!" She answers, "That's the way my mother always made it."

The next week, they go to the old bubbie's house, and she prepares the famous brisket recipe, again cutting off the ends. The young bride is sure she must be missing some vital information, so she askes her grandma why she cut off the ends. Grandma says, "Darling, that's the only way it will fit in my pan!" 

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Thanks my Friend!

It depend on many things (dimensions, paper size and etc...).

BR,

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Tushar,

since You had an eye onto the views and the siuze from them, a short question:

"Is there any parameter/option to define the view border size for every view, that means, the border size of a single view arround the actual geometry.

Since shaded vies can overlay each other and under certain circumstances the printout could suffer therefore.

regards

and

thanks

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Wolfgang,

I understand your question.

Pardon my French, but this behavior of Drawing Views was a PIA when developing the macro.

After spending great time, I realised that SE sets a 1/4 inch = 6.35 mm spacing around the views which is not the exact Bounding Box or Gabartis. This was confirmed by @beachcomber  in this post in the developer forum.

range.png

Manually: Drag the cropping handles to approximately match the view extents.

Programatically:

1. Reduce the returned Range coordinates by 1/4 inch = 6.35 mm on all sides.

2. Find the actual Range by looping through the DV entities.

Meanwhile, that would also be a good candidate for a macro.

Also related to this overlapping, is this thread which discusses the shaded view overlaping issue.

Regards,

~Tushar

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers,

thanks to Tushar for finding out the 6.35mm value of the border distance.

Does anybody know, wether is is defined somewhere in the registry,
or could be change in any other setting?

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

I have a very related question.

How do you manually control the location of any object from the edge of the paper?

I know about alignment objects, but those have the same issue.

My goal is to maintain title block boarder lines exactly 1/4" from edge of the paper. I manually set up my title block and think I was able to create it 1/4" from the edge, but could not find a way to lock it there.