Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge Viewer for Shop Use

Builder
Builder

I am running ST9 MP14 and I am looking for a viewer that my shop guy can use in place of 2D paper prints. I have checked out the downloadable viewer from Siemens and the big feature it's missing is the assembly's configurations. Are there any Solid Edge viewers out there that allow the user to toggle between the different configurations?

13 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Viewer for Shop Use

Legend
Legend

Hi @SW

Try JT2Go from Siemens.

I do not know if there are options for ASY configurations - I couldn't find them.

But the drawings are opening with no problems as well as ASYs and parts.

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP6
;

Builder
Builder
Just tried JT2Go. Couldn't find where I could toggle between configurations in an assembly.

Creator
Creator

I'm having the same problem. We make semi custom HVAC units and we're wanting manufacuring to be able to look at an assembly they're working on. Only problem is that each job is different and a common assembly would be too much. Is it possible to save/export a display configuration?

Legend
Legend

Hello,

for this give a try Solid Edge Viewer in Version ST10.

In real it is behind a complete Solid Edge ST10.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

@SW @jramsey1985

I was going to suggest to use the ST10 viewer in the shop.  However, there is one problem with that which I will explain below.

In ST10 they dropped the "Solid Edge Viewer" which I always thought was a little clunky, the resolution was poor, etc...  Instead, with ST10 you would install Solid Edge ST10 in the shop and DO NOT give it a license.  So do not point it to the network server, do not enter the cloud enabled information, do not give it a node locked license, etc...  

Instead, select the option that you want to use the Viewer Mode / Free 2D Drafting (see screenshot below). When opening part and assembly files, they now have a viewer that can view display configurations and even Family of Assemblies.  It is very convenient because the interface they will use is the same interface we use in Solid Edge but with only viewer type functionality.

However, when viewing drawings, the "viewer" is now a Free 2D Drafting tool.  Which means they will be able to do some limited functions, such as draw lines, add dimensions, etc..  They will not be able to place views from part files.  But they will be able to save the drawing with the changes they've made. 

** THIS MEANS IF A USER SAVES A DRAWING WITH THE ST10 VIEWER OTHER USERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OPEN THE FILE IF THEY ARE STILL USING A LICENSED VERSION OF ST9!! **

Therefore, once I tested this, I no longer recommend installing the ST10 viewer while you're Solid Edge users are still on ST9.  However, once you do go to ST10, I've found the viewer for it to be well received by non-Solid Edge users.  

They will be able to view configurations (FoA and display configurations), measure, hide/show parts, and even use clipping planes.

I do recommend making the switch to ST10 once you are able.  If you do install the ST10 viewer now or after you upgrade to ST10 you may want to think about the folder permissions the users on the shop floor will have since they will be able to do some basic 2D functions in draft such as, delete dimensions, add dimensions, move things around, draw lines.  If you allow them permission to edit files, they will be able to save them and make changes.  Depending on your company, this could be an advantage or disadvantage.  Most companies will not want the shop floor making changes to drawings but some might, especially smaller companies might feel it is advantageous if the shop floor can pull a missing dimension and save the drawing.  If your company does not want to allow this, it can simply be addressed through folder permissions for specific groups.  

Viewer.PNG

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Creator
Creator

Since we do not make an assembly per work order, we have an assembly of all the options together and we already have a ton of configurations for our submital drawings, is there a way to export the display configuration to some format? Maybe a format SE can view? ST10 seems like a good idea and that may be what we'll do.

Builder
Builder

Hopefully we will be switching to ST10 soon, but Ill still explore the ST10 viewer later today.

Attached is what I'm referring to when I mention configurations. We used configuration to hide/show parts during assembly/welding stages for our 3D models and our 2D prints. So that is why it would be very helpful for a viewer to be able to access these configurations. 

Genius
Genius

The ST10 viewer has the ability to view display configurations so I think you will be happy with it.

It can also view Family of Assemblies, hide/show parts, measure, and set and use clipping planes if they need to cut through something and look inside it.

In drawings, they will also be able to pull dimensions if they need something but like I said in the previous post, they will also have the ability to save the drawings so you may want to review the folder permissions of the Viewer users.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Using SE in viewer mode seems like a pretty good solution.  Seems like you could just set the permisions of the shop as read-only and you'd be golden.

-Russ