Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge and App-V delivery, has anyone tried?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

Has anyone gotten Solid Edge to work with App-V or know of folks that have?

FYI...

Microsoft Application Virtualization (also known as App-V) is an application virtualization and application streaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_App-V

Thanks,

Regan

cad support

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge and App-V delivery, has anyone tried?

Phenom
Phenom

This is not answering your question, but if you're looking for general virtualisation service, we use Citrix XenDesktop for Solid Edge.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Alex.

Were there any major issues with getting it up and running?

I know Siemans doesn't support this method, is there any other support out there?

Regan

Phenom
Phenom

Yea it's a good point that it's not officially supported so we were a bit on our own solving issues - Siemens weren't any help, and our reseller had no experience of this. We have a good internal IT department which helps a lot.

The configuration we have working best is that each user gets their own assigned VM - essentially each user has their own PC in the server, I think 16 per box, but can be 8 or 32 depending on how you want to resource the clients. 

The downside is that you have 16 machines to individually manage.

We have tried having a shared profile that gets re-created when a user logs in - this means you only have to manage one master image. However, this has been much more difficult to get working as SE (and in our case SEEC) don't expect you to be mapping all user specific files elsewhere, so we're going back to plan A.

Having said that, the performance is excellent, and now I can do full 3D cad on large models on a laptop that was 1/3 of the price of my workstation.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In my experience Citrix is very supportive and pro-active about helping customers to best configure their environments to support running Solid Edge.