Solid Edge enhancements

It has been a while since I posted in a solid edge forum.  I posted in the past in the old forum so I am not sure if I am in the right area to post potential enhancements I would like to see. I am attaching a .pdf to show a little more of what I will type about below.

Enhancement one: Single Line Font

Solid Edge made a great addition of the etch command. To enhance this I would like to see solid edge with a single line font capability. SolidWorks implemented this in their 2014 version. A single line font cuts the etch time in half on a laser and creates less entities that the CAM software has to read in order to make code. I believe this would also help those with mills and lathes.

Enhancement two: Explode text or vectorized text in draft

Sometimes with a simple part there is no need to go full 3D. Drawing and creating a file for CAM in 2D is good enough. The only problem is when you need to add text for part identification that needs to be etched or engraved into the part. The draft module does not offer a vectorized text option. 2 ways that could solve this is if you can place text in the draft then explode the text like you can in AutoCAD or DraftSight. Another option would be to have the ability to type text that is already vectorized.

Thank you

Bryan Lagrange

Mezco Fabrication, LLC

13 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge enhancements

Hi Bryan,

Yes & so much YES!!! (add to the text enhancement, a scale 1D tool would be good for text "stretching" while maintaining proportion)

Pretty sure those have been bought up, even on this new forum...but doesn't hurt to reiterate, especially the good ones.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

While they're at it, a single line stencil text would be nice, too.
Using SE since V12, 2002

And as a reminder it's great to bring things up like this to bounce ideas off of other users, but remember this is a user community and if you are serious about asking for these items as enhancements, you must still log them with GTAC or have your VAR/Partner/Reseller do it for you...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

The first thing I did was get with my VAR to get it sent in. The guys from Swoosh helped me with that.

I wanted to post it here to build some intrest and see if I could get other Solid Edge users to join in on the enhancement request.

Bryan Lagrange

Mezco Fabrication, LLC

I placed a partial list of desired enhansements under the pet peaves 2.0 thread. Should I re-post that stuff here?

12gage,

Just thought I'd point out, there's a spell check tool in the header for the reply window. Try it.

I will. Most forums don't have that tool and I am a horrible speller. I'm all logic, and spacial relationships and materials.

Just trying to get the points across in minimum time.

[ Edited ]

Bryan, ER #7151570 is one I created for dropping/converting text to geometry without having to go through a draft/dxf passthrough. Some people have already piled on, so ask your VAR to add you to that ER number and maybe you can tip the scales and get it implemented!

-Dylan Gondyke

I will get with my VAR.