Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge file embedded in Word

Genius
Genius

We are seeing a problem with Solid Edge draft documents that are embedded in Word.

As a background info, our Application Engineers embed SE sketches into Word for Purchase Order Documents.

Up until we loaded ST10 last week, everything was fine, but now when they try to edit an already embedded SE document in Word, it sits for a terribly long time and then finally comes up with an error message "The program used to create this object is SmartView.  That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding."  This is weird because the prompt in Word when you hover over the SE Document is "Double-Click to edit Solid Edge Draft Document".

Even when I attempt to paste a new Soild Edge document into a new Word file, I get an error message "Word is waiting for an OLE action to finish".

ST10 must have done something to a registry setting when upgrading.  This is not a multi version PC.  I have no idea how to fix this.  We tried to re-load Word and Solid Edge ST10 to no avail.

Any ideas?  I have not logged an IR yet and am asking the Community for help.

Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP7 - Insight
11 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge file embedded in Word

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You mean this error?

2017-11-07 17_08_57-Microsoft Word.png

This appears to not be related to Solid Edge Draft files.   I have several Newsletter articles that have embedded Solid Edge part files.  These open without issue on ST9 but with ST10 I get the above error.

I can submit this as a PR for you if you have not already concated GTAC.

Siemens Phenom

P.S. SmartView is our name for the Solid Edge Free Viewer that was preivously installed with ST9.  WIth our new viewing solution for ST10 we no longer provide the Solid Edge Free Viewer so this may be related.

Genius
Genius
That is the one. I think we may be onto a workaround. We have one Windows10 PC with ST10 loaded that does NOT have the View&Markup component loaded on it and it works. Something to do with the V&M that messes with the registry, I think.
We run Insight, so we need to use some of the stuff with V&M, but the one user did not need it. Windows7 PCs run fine.
Thanks,
Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Siemens Phenom

Hmm, I have View & Markup already installed on my system and still get this error.

I cannot remember which I installed last, Solid Edge or View & Markup.  I will try uninstalling and reinstalling View & Markup again to ensure it is "last in".

Siemens Phenom

Doh!  You are stating that with View & Markup installed you get this error, which then makes sense.

It is past beer-thirty for me....

Siemens Phenom

Nope!  Still fails for me with View & Markup uninstalled.  And this is on a Windows 7 machine.

Genius
Genius
I uninstalled on a Windows10 PC and also deleted the Insight Connect Hive from the Current User Registry.
I can copy and paste a SE Draft into Word, but a generic Word Error comes up and it converts the SE doc to a picture in Word.
Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Siemens Phenom

I also tried resetting my Solid Edge file extensions and still no joy.

How would you like to handle this moving forward?  You can call it in or I can process this for you?

Genius
Genius
I'll go ahead and submit the IR
Thanks for confirming the problem we are having.
Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight