Solid Edge files starting to become corrupt and will not open

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In the last 3 weeks, we went from not having any corrupt files previously to all of a sudden having 4 incidents with 4 different individuals.  Has anyone else come accros this?  I'm guessing it is something to do with a Windows update or a AntiVirus update as we are still on ST6 MP14 with no changes since MP14 was released...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1
7 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge files starting to become corrupt and will not open

Genius
Genius

Ken,

I'm also working with ST6 but have not seen this until yet but I have MP3.

I'm gonna reply if I have the same behaviour this week.

Can this be true ? I don't think a windows update is the problem.

Maybe a network connection fault don't you think.

Anyway I'm no expert in this area and I hope you can solve the problem soon.

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge STX user

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is everything corrupt or just a few files?

We had an issue last year where we had too many files in a single folder...something like 10,383.

Everything worked in the morning and then I released a few drawings and it put us over the limit. Couldn't access anything. Broke the folder up into sub-folders and it works fine.

JGUN

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's just a few files and the strange thing is that some are with usage of the PDM system so the file was local, and then others were on a file share.  Points to a client write issue to me...

Thanks,
Ken

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

No deeply nested directories with long, verbose names?  We occasionally run into that issue.  Although not with Solid Edge - more the general "office drone" stuff where the powers that be have set (dictated) the networked project directory structure - and that sometimes results in file paths exceeding the Micro$oft-imposed 218 character limit.  When that happens you are unable to save new files.  Just a shot in the dark?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No, these are just an arbitrary file, no long paths, some copied from a PDM vault to the local files system and some on various department shares.  GTAC stated on one that something overwrote the critical area of the file with data...

Thanks,
Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ken,

I have recently encounter 2 instances of this file corruption also.

As we have a new office layout and upgraded our NAS server, I had initially thought it was directly related to the this new, convoluted configuration, on the first instance I encountered it.....then, just yesterday, I discovered another older draft file, that wouldv'e been constructed back in ST6 days, was corrupt.

Luckily for me, there was a almost identical, and functional draft, of slightly different version of essentially the same product, and was able to easily make a copy, rename and relinked it to the correct version.

I had a fleeting thought as to trying to send the first file to Siemens for review, BUT, the draft file, like me, is a little on the heavy side, at 154MB.

I do hope this is not turning into an ongoing file destroyer, as it is now, worryingly sounding.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Just grasping as straws here, But since the problems are with older files. I had a major "Flipping" problem with sketches that was repaired in files created after ST7 MP10. But some older files still have the flipping problem that will not go away until the culprits sketch dimensions are replaced. I could see that creating mate problems down stream of the part sketches.

I dont think that would be the problem or this would have shown up before the last few weeks. But you never know.