Solid Edge for Furniture design (research)

Creator
Creator

Hi

I am doing some research in to a 3D  modeling system to  do basic kitchen cabinets that can be altered in size by a joiner or unskilled CAD user, these changes can then be sent to a CAM systems to be nested for a CNC router.

The other reason I researching into Solid Edge is that synchronous tool would make it relatively easy to design more complex curved furniture.

I have looked into a tool called Polyboard but can see long term issues with going that rabbit hole.

I also am looking into Woodworking design for inventor but I really don't think history based modelling is ideal for this task.

Please Note I have used solid edge for extensively for building Skids. I am currently looking using SE for this task as it seems like it would suit someone, who is not  a cad user and therefore, can manipulate the design to get what they want. Although they would have to get use to using a 3D mouse and understand of the synchronous rules.

My query's are is there a woodwork library available or has someone got one I can use. i.e Library of hinges runners dampers from suppliers like blum and the features library to go with them ( i have forgotten the name)

How quickly can an rusty user of SE setup a synchronous editable cabinet that can export the route profiles to CAM.

How easy would it  be to set the cabinets up to change the appearance of the laminate and how would you set up the rules for thing like edge banding,

10 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge for Furniture design (research)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you can get a hold of somebody at Kimball, they design all kinds of furniture with SE and may be able to help you out.

https://www.kimball.com/furniture.aspx

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I think it was Kimball that presented at SEU16, also.  Look through the SE Knowledge Base and see if you can find their presentation.  It was an interesting use of multi-body parts, if memory serves.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

swertel wrote:

I think it was Kimball that presented at SEU16, also.  Look through the SE Knowledge Base and see if you can find their presentation.  It was an interesting use of multi-body parts, if memory serves.

This is what you're refering to..... https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Knowledge-Base/Simplifying-the-Design-Pro...

EDIT: plus some of their renders.... https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/SEU-16-Rendering-Contest/Kimball-Hospitality-Furnitu...

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

I once worked for a diveloper and had to redesign an entire set of divelopment house plans around the cabinets because the cabinets were not fitting when I took over the plans.

One minor details that could be a huge help with this is setting up the increments of available change. Setting width changes to 3" increments, you could save lot's of problems with people wanting stuff in between sizes of standard cabinet construction.

The other big problem I ran into is that it's standard practice to draw walls at 4" and 6" thick then use drywall thicker than 1/4". So the plans they have will not represent how small the available space is.

Creator
Creator

But has anyone on the forum actually done this kind of  work and can answer my queries.

regards

Sammy

Phenom
Phenom

howw about some images of features or designs you are asking abou?. Furniture can be simple or become very complex quickly as you move to more organic shapes.

Creator
Creator

This sort of stuff

http://www.myfathersheart.com/our-work/handmade-kitchens

some simple some complex

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'd be interested in other poster's opinion but I don't think this is necessarily a valid assumption: "The other reason I researching into Solid Edge is that synchronous tool would make it relatively easy to design more complex curved furniture."

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Bruce,

Along those lines, check out some of the work done by Bob Mileti.  He has adopted Syncrhonous to create furniture and also gave a presentation a few years ago at one of the Solid Edge Univeristies.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1