Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge only accepts usage of Microsoft communication tools ? - Error messages sent to siemens

Genius
Genius

Hi, about once a week, Solid Edge comes to a stage, where it becomes instable and even cannot be closed from the menu. Instead it displays a message "Solid Edge doesn't work anymore".

Then it tries to send and error log to Siemens.

But is not be sent. Instead Solid Edge starts telling me: "Microsoft Outlook is not Your standard email client" and suggesting to install Microsoft Outlook now. No message is sent out.

Is Solid Edge really not able to accept the installed email client?

Another point, quite similar to this: Calling the help with F1, Solid Edge automaticely starts the old Microsoft Internet Explorer, while this is not the Internet Browser I use with additional consequence, that now Microsoft wants me to install another Microsoft Browser ...

11 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge only accepts usage of Microsoft communication tools ? - Error messages sent to siemen

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm having the same issue using Mozilla Thunderbird email client. Solid Edge fails to send error log when it crashes, despite Thunderbird being set up as the default email client.

Solid Edge ST10 MP8 - Windows 10 - K2000

Re: Solid Edge only accepts usage of Microsoft communication tools ? - Error messages sent to siemen

Genius
Genius

For me Thunderbird IS the default email client and inspite of that Solid Edge wants me to install Microsoft Outlook for sending its error log email.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OK. I just had this happen again today. I get the following message:

Screenshot 2017-10-02 15.06.09.png

Here are Thunderbird settings in the control panel:

Screenshot 2017-10-02 15.09.47.png

Phenom
Phenom

I'd get off of WIndows 8.1 as fast as I could. Then see if that clears things up.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Hans11.....short answer is.... CORRECT.

Solid Edge is coded [as is the UI] to leverage Microsoft architecture, and also expects certain applications....for things like such as email, browser, word processor & spread sheet.

The crash is seperate, and most likely a system compatibility issue, be that hardware, or software, or both. But the log file can still be submitted, if you know where to look for it, and of course, where to send it. Dont expect any feedback on this though, as it is digested by AFAIK automated systems, that alert the developers to issue trends, etc...and only respond to this internally.

I think the crash & command log files, temp save to - C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp

Send them to - rmseanalyze@ugs.com [subject = Crash Log]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

I think you might find the crashlogf.txt and cmdlog Vnnn.txt file here:  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Ken
Production: ST10 MP7, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Ah yeah.....thanks @KennyG, I searched but didn't find any, so guess-timated it. Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@RyanMThanks for your reply, could really do without having to reinstall windows at the moment. Are there known issues with Solid Edge on Windows 8.1?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There are no specific Solid Edge issues on Windows 8.1 that come to mind or that I am aware of.

I think you will find that Windows 8.x as a whole was not well regarded as being a great Microsoft OS release overall.  If I were still a CAD administrator, I personally would not have Windows 8.x machines in my engineering organization -- but that is based on my personal experiences.  Some may swear by Windows 8.x.