Solid Edge parametrization to Ansys, + Solid Works to Solid Edge

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hello!

Q1: I am having trouble to define my design model with some key paramters (e.g. length or height of a beam) in Solid Edge ST5 student edition, the goal is when importing to Ansys (version 15) it will filter these out and i can use them in my parametric simulation study?

Q2: Importing from Solid Works to Solid Edge. In my bachelor thesis i have recieved .SLDPRT-file, it is working fine to import but I am missing the 2D sketches too be able to parametrizie, or can I use another tool to modulate a curve or distance? Or do I need to draw a totaly new one?

/Patrick, engineer student.

5 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge parametrization to Ansys, + Solid Works to Solid Edge

MLombard
Retired

Solid Edge enables you to drive the prismatic geometry directly. You don't need sketches, and you can drive imported data with just dimensions. Try to put a dimension on an edge of the imported part and then change it.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Phenom
Phenom

Patrick, Welcome to the forum.

For your Q1. Right click in the Part enviroment anywhere in the graphcis area whre you make the models and select Variables... from the context menu that appears. A table appears that lists all the dimensions you have applied so far in making the model.

You can parametrically control the model from there and also add expressions that relate one dimension with another, thus enabling you to control your design using key parameters.

You can make the process bit easier for yourself by first renaming the variable names from the default format 'Vnnn' to something more meaningful by simply double-cliking the names viz. BeamLength, BeamWidth, etc.

I am not sure how these parameters will tranfer to Ansys though.

Hope this helps.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you required by your class to use Ansys? Solid Edge has Simulation built right in (stress, modes, buckling, heat). You might want to move to ST7, as it has improved quite a bit since ST5.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

For your Q2. and further to what Matt has suggested, here'e a popular workflow:

Importing from SolidWorks and missing your sketches ?

1. Copy the sketches in SW using Edit > Copy followed by pasting them in a Drawing using Edit > Paste.

2. Export the SW drawing to DXF.

3. You can then superimpose the DXF and the SW model in Solid Edge, see this video:

Hope this helps too.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.png  Solid Edge Users Facebook Group

EDIT: Yes, and as Dan suggests, this would save you lots of hassle and the best way to handle such situations is to use Synchronous Technology.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Since we are introduced to Ansys in our Finite-Element Method-course it felt more confortable, but the CAD-part is very unintuitive and Solid Edge is much more user-friendly to draw models 

/Patrick