Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge program controls appearing very small

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro running Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp. I added Windows for one reason - Solid Edge.

I have downloaded the student version of Solid Edge to the Windows partition on my machine. It runs well but has one problem: the control buttons are extremely small and difficult to see. I have compared the program's size to my friends' copies to confirm something is going on. The graphic on startup is about 1 1/2" in  height by 3" wide on my Mac 13" screen but on my friends' systems it is much larger. I have also tested other programs to ensure its not a Windows on Mac problem. Everything else runs with normal sizing. 

Please help Smiley Happy and then pretty, pretty please, make Solid Edge available for Mac OS. I know a few million students would jump like grasshoppers at the thought! Thank you!

3 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge program controls appearing very small

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Solid Edge is a Windows application dependent on Windows libraries and technologies.  Would be darned near impossible to port to Mac OS along with all the ancillary add-ons and 3rd part apps.

So you know this is an unsupported platform?

That being said, you might want to check your display resolution set.  That would be the only reason I would know of that everything in SE would be scaled down that small for.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

As Ken suggests, it must be the display resolution setting, as I have Solid Edge running on my Surface Pro3 full time, and all things are much more compact than my colleagues [inherited my old one] workstation setup, and is because of the much higher screen resolution.

You might also like to try changing the ribbon bar buttons to 2X size.....go to Application Button > Solid Edge Options > Helpers [Check the box - "Increase buttons on Command Ribbon by 2X"]

ST7_SolidEdgeOption_Helpers_2xRibbonBarSize.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

not sure if this forum is still active but i have a similar problem too and i have changed the button sizes in the ribbon which has helped. I have a normal windows 8 laptop with fairly high resolution. Unfortunently i think the entire resolution on my solid edge st7 is the problem and it is  way to high so the text pretty much everywhere except the help text that pops up is very small (cursor, ribbon, submenues, working tree, all menues and help wheel as well)and extreamly difficult to read. i would say that even with the 2X size for the buttons it still barely readable. I think it is something to do with the entire resolution in solid edge that needs to be changed but i do not know how. I had a similar problem in another program that i could not solve. I have changed the normal resolution for the screen but the program remains the same. If you have any suggestions it would be very helpfull. Thank you