Solved! Go to solution

Solid Edge to SketchUp

I realize this is not a pressing issue for those who don’t have to deal with Trimble’s SketchUp .skp files, but for those of us who have clients that require these files there is a product out there that works well; that product is SimLab Soft’s Composer and it integrates very neatly with Solid Edge.

www.Simlabsoft.com

Dave

9 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge to SketchUp

Sketchup Pro 2015 can import IFC files, and since SE can export those in ST8...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Yes, it can, but the quality of the imported .skp file is very facetted. Do you know of a way to control the export parameters so that arcs look like arcs and not multi-sided lines?

Typically, in SU you can control the number of arcs when creating new lines/arcs but I don't see a way to do that in the export process from SE to SU.

SimlabSoft is also a great partner in other ways. They have a real tight integration to Solid Edge for doing what used to be called "Tech Pubs" but is way more advanced these days.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Try the IFC4 version...

Thanks,
Ken

SketchUp chokes on the IFC4 version during the import process, I am using ST8 MP1 to SketchUp Pro Version 15.3.331 64-bit.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rubberneck
‎10-15-2015 06:49 AM

Yeah, IFC4 won't work. Its brep and Sketchup doesn't support Brep.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Too bad, as it results in a very nice imported model.  Dan, does IFC2X3 dictate minimum triangle sizes or is that a control that could be added just like for STL?

Thanks,
Ken

I tried to convert but receive:

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

I ended up having to go with SimLab Composer and importing the .asm file then exporting from there as a .skp file for SketchUp. SimLab does make an add-in that works in SE.

I should mention, this process will sometimes do odd things to the scale factor when I open the file in SketchUp, it is most likely some setting I that I need to address; otherwise, I just open the file in SketchUp, check a know dimension, do a little math and then just scale the model/component to achieve the correct scale.

I hope this helps.

Dave