Solid edge ST6 test

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

Can someone test something for me?

in an assembly the first part is basicly grounded(with ground constraint), that basicly means you cant move it because its fully constraint, now with ST7 i can move this so i think there is a problem with ST7 because according to me this shouldn't happen(or else the grounded constraint has no use). i want to know if the same happens with ST6.

just make a 1 part assembly and try to move the part with steering wheel.

thank you

6 REPLIES

Re: Solid edge ST6 test

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is not new to ST7. The steering wheel is designed to move a part regardless of its constraints. (i.e. I am telling you to move it, so why should the system refuse to do so). It should warn you when it has to break one. 

You can turn off the steering wheel in ASM if this bothers you. I believe this is on the Ribbon Bar now, where it used to hidden under select options.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter

if i take away the the ground constraint, and put 3 constraints instead on the x,y,z planes then the part doesn't move anymore,then it does warn me if it has to break one, but on a ground constraint it doesn't warn me, so what exactly is the point of a ground constraint if it still can be moved? the steering wheel doesn't bother me, it bothers me that it moves a fully constrained part without warning me(to supress or delete it).

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

The ground relationship fixes a part in place so other relationships will not move it. The part does not have to aligned to the base coordinate system that's just how we drop it in by default.

It basically holds the part in place so edits and additions of other ASM relationships will not cause it to move. It's really a stay where you are do not move relationship that is not tied to any other geometry in the file.

If you move the part using the Steering Wheel the part lands where you want it to go and the part is grounded at the new location.

Since the ground is maintained and we don’t have to repair it we don’t issue a warning.

As Dan points out It’s been like this since for a while.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Art

Experimenter
Experimenter

thank you for your reply, it still doesn't make sense to me that a grounded part can be moved, it should be "stay where you are no matter what happens" or atleast a warning to supress it or even delete the constraint then move it to new location and ground it again. i dont have ST6 so i cant test it,i was convinced it couldn't be moved in ST6 but now you have put me in a doubt.

thank you for your reply.

Phenom
Phenom

Grounding a part prevents it from moving in every case but with the steering wheel. This prevents accidental moves when dragging other parts around or snapping other relationships in place. Ground relationships are also usually applied for visual placement purposes after locating a component manually. It is pretty hard to 'accidentally' move a grounded part with the steering wheel, and I wouldn't want to have it throw up a warning anyway because I constantly use the steering wheel to nudge my grounded parts around.

-Dylan Gondyke

Experimenter
Experimenter

I understand what you are saying,it's not a disaster that it can be moved, a nice extra would be a 'locked' and 'unlocked' button on the ground constraint (just like on the insert constraint with rotation locked and unlocked) with the standard set on unlocked.