Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid edge sketching slowsdown with high line count

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am tying to create a 300mm x 300mm cuttout pattern as viewed in the picture.  When the sketch has many lines each deletion and new line placement takes over 20 seconds for the opperation to complete and is unbearably slow to use. 

As such it is to my belief that the software should not be slowing down this much when simple opperations such as deleting a line should take over 20 seconds to perform.  The selections are not slow, but when a command starts execution, such as delete this line, I feel like there is a fundermental problem in the software construction.

I come from a background of software development, what is going on here when you delete a simple object in a new sketch? Surely you just need to delete the item from a linked list and update the lines surrounding the item being deleted.  Having a large amount of elements shouldn't matter.  Here there seems to be an exponential time to process depending on the number of lines in the sketch which isn't very good at all.

Has any one else experienced this?  Is it possible that the team at SolidEdge can get this tested and fixed as a software issue please?  It would make the software better if it was designed to allow for more complex designs.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Solid edge sketching slowsdown with high line count

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of deleting an object from a linked list as you suggested. All of those relationships you have in that sketch (the pink handles) have to be solved every time you add, delete or modify something because modifying something in one area of the sketch can indirectly affect the relationships in another area of the sketch. I would suggest you log an IR so it can be examined.

Greg

Experimenter
Experimenter
Do you have a link to the correct system to do this?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor
@TheRoboticsGuy do you have a free/student version or a commercial version under maintenance? The reason U ask is that if using a free/student version, you cannot creat an IR to report the issue. If you are using a commercial version under maintenance, you can contact the VAR you purchased from to log the IR.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

@TheRoboticsGuy not sure what you are ultimately attempting to do, but if you are planning on cutting that pattern into a solid, perhaps just create one instance of the unique geometry and cut the features in the sheet, and then use the feature patterns on the cut features to create the pattern desired. That is how the app was designed to be used.

Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter
It is the free/student version I am using here

Experimenter
Experimenter
@KennyG I do not believe there is an option in the software for isometric geometry patterns.

Phenom
Phenom

@TheRoboticsGuy wrote:
@KennyGI do not believe there is an option in the software for isometric geometry patterns.

If the Width and Height are set correctly, can the stager option accomplish that pattern?  Either way, I would avoid such a sketch.  As Ken stated, Solid Edge was/is not designed for that type of work, and rightly so IMO.  If you keep sketches as simple as possible (but no simpler) and leverage solid features and patterns to accomplish tasks your modeling life will be much better.  Also consider a solid with cutouts of that detail will be slow to work with as well.

image.png

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.

@TheRoboticsGuy Not sure what you mean by "Isometric geometry patterns".  You are creating a 2D pattern in which one pattern is a circular pattern of six around a hole.  That pattern is then a staggered rectangular pattern of the circular pattern and the triangles between them.  Something similar to the video below.  The trick is to keep any 2D geometry using relationships simple and use the 3D tools to make the geometry more complex.

(view in My Videos)

Ken