Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid extrision loses sketch relations

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm new to Solid Edge - I have quite a bit of experience of CAD systems, but not much in the last 5 years or so (was mostly UG / NX). So, I'm struggling with a very simple issue - I'm modelling a simple lever as an exercise and want it to be parametric - or as far as possible. So, I created a sketch of the lever outline, which seems reasonably parametric. I then extruded the sketch to form a solid - but here is where the problem starts. Whatever I do, I can't seem to get the solid to behave in thesame way as the sketch parameterisation - specifically, when I change a fillet radii of the original sketch - the solid updates, but the construction geometry related to the centre of that fillet does not follow the fillet centre - which it did as the basic 2D sketch.

I'm obviously doing something basic wrong - but any help would be much appreciated. lever_011 is the basic 2D sketch lever012 is the sketch + extrusion. The parameter I'm trying to update is "Radial 1" - which follows design intent on he sketch, but not the sold.

Cheers 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Solid extrision loses sketch relations

Legend
Legend

What program are you using, version & mp number? I am unable to open the files.

It sounds like you are using synchronous, once you complete a sketch and use it to generate a solid the sketch is consumed and no longer used for the geometry. If you want to keep sketch based design and keep your models parametric switch to the ordered modeling environment.

I almost always use ordered as it permits the design methodology known as skeleton sketching, where you layout your critical information in a sketch and drive the geometry with that sketch.

The only time I use sync is to modify dumb parts, from vendors or other cad systems.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor
Hi there ,

So I have a couple of issues limiting my response...1) I'm on my phone, 2) I'm in a hospital bed.....however, from your text, I would suggest you may be trying to include way too much detail into the sketch......instead, you are far better off adding items like "fillets" as features. This would be true for both Synchronous and Ordered modelling techniques in Solid Edge.

Placing relationships and well considered driving dimensions are the key also.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Sean - sorry to hear that you're in Hospital! I do have a habit of over-defining sketches, but thought I could get away with it on this occasion as it defines the design-intent quite well - at least in my head! It turns out it was synchronus vs ordered that was confusing me - I'm still very much in the ordered world of early NX!

Hope you get better soon.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks - that's sorted it out - I'm much more comfortable in the ordered world!