Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid part converted to sheet metal can't save as file with *.psm extension

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello everybody

I imported some design from solidworks. 

I imported it as from parasolid files

Afrer import of each part I converted it to sheet metal  using toll "CONVERT TO SHEET METAL"

Everything is ok.

But when I want to save this converted file Solid edge still want to save it as a *.part file.

Files converted to sheet metal where is no any bends I can save as *.psm file.

But If in converted file is even one bending then I can not to save it as *.psm file.

Why?

Regards

Marcin

18 REPLIES

Betreff: Solid part converted to sheet metal can't save as file with *.psm extension

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

if You know that You finally want to get a sheet metal part then use a PSM as import template rather than a PAR.

But nevertheless if You have alread a converted sheetmetal but saved as PAR You can rename that one to a dot PSM

Before writing and posting this lines I wanted to check it by myself.

So created a sheet metal saved it as parasolid and imported it back as part.

Converted it to sheet  metal and jsut clicked save

And now - surprise - SE automatically offered. and only offered me, to save it as PSM.

Only as PSM!

So right now I'm not able to test the rename from par to psm, but I know that I have done it in the past.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Solid part converted to sheet metal can't save as file with *.psm extension

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

OK, continued to test this situation and when saving the imported part before converting it as part then I have the dot par file type.

Convert it to psm and save it, still let it be a .par

Close it, change the name or better to say the ending to .psm and open it again brings a pure PSM part to SE

So this should work anyway.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

I recently have found this problem.

I have been doing SE .psm for years and when I open someone elses (.psm) I do not have the same Home tabs and it uses the "Solids" tab not the "Sheet Metal" tab

Modeled on my PC has "Sheet Metal" Tab

Opened from another CAD person on my PC has "solids" tabmy CAD model.JPGOther CAD model.JPG

Legend
Legend

We have been starting to run into varius issues or pitfalls of .par files that are sheetmetals.  It's getting messy now and starting to mess with our dxf creation.  If a .par file can be converted to a sheetmetal model with all the sheetmetal behaviors then why bother with .psm file extension at all.  Just drop the .psm and only use .par files?

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Phenom
Phenom

@bnemec

Personally, I like having .psm and .par files. Not only does it make it so I can have two versions of the same part, like a bent angle or made from actual L angle. Then decide afterwards which version is needed, also can keep both in the assembly, turn one off in occurence properties. Also it allows us to see from windows explorer if it is sheet metal or another type of part.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

That's an odd situation. I thought maybe someone changed the extension, but testing doesn't produce the same result as yours. Simply changing a .par file to sheet metal doesn't change the extension. Is there any chance these are imported parts, and using different templates? I once had made an import.par file that was nothing more than a .psm template renamed and changed the extension. I don't have that to test at the moment.

I'm lost, will see what the experts come up with..............

Legend
Legend

@nominus38, I beleive your first point is good and I can see that being useful.  Our files and closely tied to manufacturing so a blank&formed angle would have completely different routing than a cut and drill angle, therefor different part numbers and so we tend to follow that mindset in naming files.  Every place does things a little different so it's good to hear from other perspectives.

Your second point I find interresting because that was one of the main reasons why I don't like a .par that is actually a sheet metal.  So now our .par files may need dxfs of the flat for our LASER and break, it used to be only .psm files would sometimes need a dxf.  With .par files being sheetmetal that has, in  my opinion/understanding made the .psm extension pointless, unless an organization sets down rules stating that there shal be no sheet metal parts modeled in a .psm file which defeats the point of the "switch to" feature.

Having mixed-matched file extensions and model types sounds a little too messy for my brain.

Creator
Creator

I do not know what this other CAD guy did, However maybe he had a different version? We had 3 CAD designers all using ST8 but from all 3 PC's things were different.

Those 2 guys are no longer with us and I have to edit a lot of their models.

Also strange is how when I do a .par file, all my sketches show up in my tree, but how ever they modeled, all I get are "Protrusions", "Cutouts" featured but no Sketch boxes to check or uncheck.

Sure I can just click the center flyout but it seems strange that they are all missing.

Legend
Legend
The "missing" sketches are actually embedded in the feature. As far as I know you cannot get the sketch out of the feature other than the brute force method of editing the feature profile (sketch) selecting and copying the entire profile then closing out of sketch environment and opening a new one on THE EXACT SAME PLANE and paste. Note to place it in exactly the same spot as it was copied from hold the shift key while click LMB.

If there is a way to extract the sketch from a feature I would love to hear about it, I run into the same thing here. If ever the feature gets sick beyond repair, any sketches embedded are gone with it. That is why I almost never embed the sketch in the feature. If you want a cleaner looking PathFinder name the sketches and features and make use of groups, they work well. What's fastest in the beginning is not always most efficient in the long run life of the model.