Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid sweep cutout

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Edgers,

I need a little bit help with Sweep Body Cutout command.

There is a known limitation with this command, when you want to use for example circle sketch wrapped to cylindrical face as trajectory.
The task is to cutout a groove or slot with the help of tool body which is guided along the wrapped sketch where the tool axis is continuously changed and positioned perpendicular to the selected cylindrical surface.

Curently I am looking for the simplest workaroud for this. I am able to WA this using quite complex surfacing and 3D curves modeling, but maybe I am missing a simpler WA.

I attached a short video and simple part for better understanding.

Ota

PS: @Imics, I am betting all I have on you :-)

(view in My Videos)

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid sweep cutout

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi my Friend,

I have a bad news for you, there is no way to do what you want with SSC. There are two issues one of them is the wrapped sketch other is self-intersecting result... 

There is an other way, but the surface will be rough and the last is simulating in a CAM software. My colleague was so kindly and programmed this part in Edgecam and saved it as stl.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

So, this isn't the same code as was used in NX? NX allows for the self-intersecting. That's strange that Siemens would put that limitation onto this function. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the function. Don't you think?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi @Imics

thank you very much for great video and for the attached part - you are not only "SE Phenom", but you are "SE GOD" :-).

I knew there is a some way with using pattern along curve feature, but I was not able to get a final feature.

Well, this issue is now logged and exists as ER8901823, so anyone can join.

@RyanM: I also think this is different code from NX.

Ota

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@RyanM@ota_poul2 I've tested it in NX11 and it couldn't solve this challenge... There are some cases what I could solve in Solid Edge but couldn't in NX with SSC... So I cannot say, that SSC implementation is weakest in SE compare to NX, nor yet... Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/