SolidEdge Data Preparation Utilities/ repalcing parts

This must have been discussed previously, but I was not able to find it here. In SolidEdge, I have specific Part-A shared by assemblies U, V, X, Y & Z and in several other folders. I want to replace that Part-A with new Part-B how can I have it done, without having to do individually?  

15 REPLIES

Re: SolidEdge Data Preparation Utilities/ repalcing parts

Revision manager:

Open the part in Rev Man and select Replace. Pick the replacement part.

With the row still selected (yellow color) go to the Tools tab and pick Where Used.

That will populate the lower screen with the assemblies and drafts (if any) where the old part is used. Select the where used files you want to change and pick Update for the action. Make sure all the ones you want say "Update" in the action column and hit Perform Actions.

That's it.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Thank you for the response. I followed through your instruction opening the Rev. Manager but I am not sure why I am not getting populated screen with assemblies and drafts where the old part is used.

Thanks,
A_man

[ Edited ]

The Rev Man screen has two sections. Do you see both sections on your screen like the attached image?

Open the part in SE and do a where-used from there and see what you get.

In the "process options" dialog within the where used command make sure at least assembly and draft are seleted.

Bruce Shand

Here is the screenshot of the Rev Man and Where-Used in SE from part level. I get search result for the part for specific assembly only, but I am trying to update for all assembles (in several folders) where this part is utilized.  Doing search, using other windows software it shows all the assemblies and folders where this particular part (A00322) is used not just any specific location (3-rd pic). However, I was able to manipulate Data Prep. Utilities creating XLS and then getting it done for several folders all at the same time. I appreciate your time and help, definitely good to know that it could be done using Revision Manager since that is one of my favorite tool. I would explore more on that since you have hinted that it can be done using Rev. Manager.

Thanks,

A_man   

[ Edited ]

Interesting. I've never used data prep and have no idea how you did that. Could you attach a shot of the xls file or the file itself?

I have no idea why SE didn't find all the links with where used. Maybe it has something to do with how your database is structured. We're Insight managed here so paths are set.

Bruce Shand

Just manupulate the XLS / datapreputilitiestemplate in SE program folder. Here image attached...

[ Edited ]

Are you saying there is a preexisting Excel template? I don't see one.

Nevermind, found it. But how does it or how does the user define all the where used files?

Bruce Shand

I did search from the windows based program and copied all the path and changed as necessary in datapreputilitiestemplate.xlsm, and used Modify from Data Preparation to execute.

I'm still confused. What Windows based program found where used locations?

Bruce Shand