Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolidEdge equivalent to CATIA V5's File Manager?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

New ST10 user; experienced in CATIA V5.

Is there an equivalent to Catia's File Manager? At the moment I am just doing basic models, assemblies and drafts, using Save and Save All. But I know I will be doing things like renaming, moving and whatnot before long.

I know on CATIA if I did any of that without care I could lose links between drawings and models, so I had to use File Manager. Is this a risk on SolidEdge? And if so, Is there an equivalent for File Manager on SolidEdge that I should be using rather than just hitting save all the time?  

4 REPLIES 4

Betreff: SolidEdge equivalent to CATIA V5's File Manager?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I believe what you want is the app called Design Manager. It's in the Solid Edge program group.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Brilliant; that looks exactly like what I am looking for. Are there any instructions on how it can be used? Or for that matter, anything I should avoid doing?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It's hard to give specific caveats. It's pretty powerful and you can screw things up if you're not careful depending on what you're doing and how your files are stored. There's a fair amount to learn.

Simple renaming, copying and replacing should be straightforward. Be careful of global operations if you use standard parts and/or a common library of vendor parts, for example. It's best to not select or to deselect those before specifying actions and performing operations unless it is your purpose to change those files.

Start on small assemblies to get your feet wet.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend