SolidWorks Associative Drawing Migration

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

For those of you that were paying attention during the SEU15 "leak" of some ST9 stuff, there was a very interesting item --> Fully associative SolidWorks drawing migration. This is pretty cool stuff. It's for people coming from SolidWorks to Solid Edge -- and you still have a seat of SolidWorks (2012 and up I think?) handy. We can not only migrate all your parts and assemblies -- including FOA, FOP, materials, thread table etc, but we can now migrate drawings fully associatively such that if you change the part in SE the converted drawing will also update  (as if you created it natively in SE).

Anyhow the point is WE ARE GOING INTO BETA TEST ON THIS in January using ST8 as the testing basis (even though officially an ST9 project). So if you are SolidWorks convert to Solid Edge and would like to try this out (remember you need SolidWorks to "drive" the translation) please drop me a line at dan.staples@siemens.com.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
15 REPLIES

Re: SolidWorks Associative Drawing Migration

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I was in that position a few years ago where one group (mine) used SW and another in Sweden used SE and we were always sharing. Also had another group using Pro-E so I had a seat of that too.

Pretty cool, unbelievably cool actually, if SW-SE works smoothly and say, 90% or better reliability.

Kudos to you and development. Might be another good way in addition to Synchronous to gain more converts. Smiley Happy

Edit: 90% is just a wild guess.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

dcstaples wrote:...(remember you need SolidWorks to "drive" the translation)

Was awesome news alright Dan!.....while we do have SW2015 here also, I didn't get the important link in the chain when I heard it at SEU15, of the need to have SW on the same system.

I guess it's just like the Inventor deal, so that will still be a stumbling block for some people, who nolonger have access to SW.

GREAT step toward removing another barrier to entry, in converting people to SE seats though.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Community Manager

@SeanCresswell Just to be clear, the SolidWorks does not need to be on the same system as Solid Edge. Just has to be in the same network. Its made to run as a server kind of thing. But yes, you have to have a copy somewhere in your mix still. As you say, this is principally for the "current" migrators -- but we always look to the folks here in the community who always seem willing to help out. Great group!

Dan Staples

Genius
Genius

I am very happy that Siemens is making great strides toward this.  We have been using both Solid Edge and SolidWorks for nearly a decade and we are trying to move toward one system.  We are playing and learning the capabilities and limitations of the migration tool currently.  I'm not sure we will see the 90% @bshand is looking for however perhaps close and still worthwhile and better than starting from scratch.

I imagine that certain detail and section views are going to need some massaging.  Also, handling Weldments I'm sure will be difficult.  Especially if the weldment was created in the part environment in SolidWorks and has weld and machined configurations.  We are having a little difficulty right now but coming up with some type of workflow for manipulating the model to migrate as good as possible. 

The things I saw at SEU15 look very promising.  

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Community Manager

@Fritz Actually section and detail views are working really well. Though as you say, it is a translator, so there is no such thing as perfect. 90% would be a great and lofty goal.

Brian, are you willing to give it a try? Please drop me a mail at dan.staples@siemens.com if so.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Staples

Creator
Creator
Will you be able to do this with inventor at any point?

Phenom
Phenom

No. Migrated drawing is not associative with migrated model what are coming from inventor.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When migrating the Solidworks drawings is there a way to eliminate the sketched view that gets placed in the drawing in addition to the associative drawing view. If the associative view is either moved or updated with a model change, the sketched view doesn't update. Also I'm seeing a double set of balloons with one attached to the sketched view & one attached to the associative view. The one that is associated with the sketched view has the circle around it where the one that's attached to the associative view is just text with a straight leader. Still pretty nice that the views do stay associative which no other program's able to do. Also this is with ST9sw-se.JPG

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The sketch view should automaticly be removed after the SE Drawing views are created. Have you tried this in ST9MP2. There were several migration fixes added to this maintenance pack. If the problem persist you may want to log this with GTAC .