SolidWorks Xdesign, Onshape, Autodesk Fusion

Seeing that SolidWorks is moving to a cloud version and the rise of Onshape and Autodesk Fusion, Will we see a cloud version of the best CAD software on the planet Solid Edge in the near future?

23 REPLIES

Re: SolidWorks Xdesign, Onshape, Autodesk Fusion

I will imagine it will be an option in the future as the Trial version is already available as cloud based... Here's an article on it: http://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/9803/Siemens-Solid-Edge-D...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

Hi,

We've already discussed about this in an earlier post:

link

Solid Edge ST9 will provide some new & cool opportunities, but it's secret! Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

[ Edited ]

The cloud is great unless you happen to live in a country like the USA where the internet is seen as a fad by the government thus enforcement of regulations is spotty thus resulting in quality of service where claimed speeds and capabilities such as 50mbps really means 10mbps but it could spike at 50mpbs on a sunday morning at 5am.

With Virgin Media I get just about as fast as you can (200mbps) in the UK unless you have a dedicated line.

As it happens I tried OnShape last week, but got fed up very quickly. Watching the spin drier going round on the screen for 3 or 4 seconds when putting a hole into the end of a simple cylinder didn't give me much hope.

And getting an email from them on my phone at 3am on the weekend wasn't funny either.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber Virgin Media VIVID!!! I am sooo jealous. 

VM doesn't make it into the sticks of Norfolk.  I currently have the fastest BT Infinity 2 for home that is offered (76 Mb) -- if it isn't throttled I'd hate to be running  the "normal" packages that most people with BT are using Robot Sad

I always find this an interesting discussion. My POV is it always needs to be about benefits to the end user -- YOU. So @beachcomber I would be very interested in your view on that. What did you hope to "get" from OnShape? Or were you just curious? What benefit did you *hope* to derive (guessing it wasn't 3AM wake up calls)! :-)

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Dan-

For me it was looking at the technology (Parasolid, "PDM", public cloud) to see how it was being applied and if there was any business reasons to look any further. At this point in time, both, Onshape and Fusion don't provide any business reasons to look elsewhere.

Ryan

We always have the issue of folks trying to work with SE over a VPN connection and moving the files back and forth.  The attraction to some kind of cloud based SE whether company or leased servers is not having to move data over the VPN.  We are actually piloting Citrix Reciever with Citrix VDA installed on a workstation and it works really well on the LAN but need to test it over VPN.  It's a 1 to 1 solution though...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

I can see many companies wanting to cloud the CAD files. As a designer, I will fight this at every chance unless it is just a source of information and all files get transfered to the local hard disk to the point the net can be disconnected once the files are loaded.

I have a good computer and no network files to keep the seek times as low as posible. I can see that being a problem with cloud files. How fast can I load and rotate a 500 part assembly?