Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solidedge simulation factor of safety

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

Your question is very good. Everybody is right here, but the value of FOS depends on "active" material in the study. What does this mean? You have to set default/active material in Study group on Simulation tab. You should set "the weakest" material, because this will be the "the weakest" point of you structure.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Very wrong!

- Stress in the part varies across different points in the 3D space.

- In multi-material assemblies or weldments material varies as well across different points in the 3D space.

So safety factor in particular 3D location =  (3D location material Yield stress/3D location stress) varies as well.

Imre, do not hide the fact that Safety Factor report is too simplistic (cheap) and could be wrongly interpreted and could be the reason for the catastrophic failures.

Any half descent 3D software with FEA knows the calculated stress in 3D location and the material properties in that 3D location.

So if management would be not cheap and assign enough resources in coding, it can be calculated and comunicated to the software user very easy.

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P. Eng.

AAA Engineering

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2018

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I presented how it works and gave a tipp to get good result. That's all. Smiley Wink

"Imre, do not hide the fact that Safety Factor report is too simplistic (cheap) and could be wrongly interpreted and could be the reason for the catastrophic failures"

Who did this? I didn't. Smiley Very Happy Safety Factor is only a number, but we are the engineer so we have to make a decision, that it will work or not... One of the main goal with linear static analisys is that we have to find "the weakest ponit" of the structure.

Aren't you satisfied implementation of Safety Factor? I suggest filling an ER form and forward it to developer (GTAC or VAR).

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/