Some pre purchase questions

I am looking at buying Solid Edge with a floating license. My rep told me the floating license could only be used on the local network.
This has me concerned we won't be able to use Solid edge from home or while traveling.

With Solidworks we were able to VPN in and use our floating licenses and I would have to assume something similar would be possible with SE but want to make sure before I buy it.

I had a couple other questions but don't remember them right now. I'll post up if I do.

13 REPLIES

Re: Some pre purchase questions

The floating licensing can be used any place that you can connect to your company network, so you definetely can connect over VPN as my users do this frequently.

Also the floating license supports borrowing, so you could borrow the license while traveling, but then the license is checked out to that one PC until the borrowing period expires or is cancelled.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Excelent, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks.

Hello Grundey

We recently converted our license to a floating license and I'm trying to configure SE6 in our environment to allow VPN access.  We're using Server 2012R2.  I called GTAC for assistance however they didn't know how to set it up.  Do you know where I can find information (a "how to guide") about configuring Windows Server 2012R2 VPN to allow Solid Edge to work remotely via VPN access?

Just to clarify, there is a difference between attempting to run Solid Edge on a remote machine through a VPN and attempting to run Solid Edge locally with a floating license accessed remotely over a VPN.  Which are you attempting?

We are trying to run Solid Edge locally with a floating license accessed remotely over a VPN.  We're trying to get Solid Edge installed on a laptop to 'see' the license server via VPN

We have been using RDP but the screen refresh is a bit slow.

If your VPN connection is slow, SE may timeout on getting a response.  To fix, create a Windows system variable called "FLEXLM_TIMOUT" and set its value to "3000000".  This gives SE 3 seconds to recieve a response from the license server.

Ken Grundey

I will be using a linux server if possible. I have read that is not a problem. Is there anything I should know before going into this?

I am really trying to avoid maintenance if possible. I would love some people opinions on this.

One of my main concerns is with my license server. I am thinking of setting it up in a RAID setup that should be pretty reliable. I have discussed the pros and cons of maintenance with my rep but answers are pretty short and I am trying to get more info.

What all does the maintenance provide me? Once thing that he said was if my computer crashed or something that they would help me reinstall the software and licensing. If I didn't have the maintenance I would get charged some insane amount to do this. This seems kind of ridiculous to pay $1000/y so tech support can help me transfer my license to a new computer or something.

I assume the floating license works similar but I don't know details. If my server crashes and the OS and data are not salvageable then am I really going to get charged $1k or something crazy to get it back on another server? I assume it's not as easy as backing up and installing on another computer because that would make it too easy to pirate but I am unclear on what I can do to back up and protect myself and what I won't be able to do because of built in security.

On a bigger level what are the advantages of maintenance? How can it possibly be worth $1000 a year or provide that much benefit to me?

$1000 seems low for SE maintenance... Is this additional maintenance on top of the SE software maintenance?

Ken Grundey

The most obvious advantage of maintenance is access to new versions and maintenance packs.

Next is access to tech support for all your questions and problems.

One that many people do not think about is the ability to submit bugs and request enhancements.