Sorting material in new Material Table

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ok, we have a new material table.

Look nice, lot of options, but I lake 1 option. Once you have made a couple of directories (or even with just a single directory) I miss the ability to sort all material in a folder. I know we are able to add them to the favorite list and sort them here more or less.

Unless I have overlooked this option, I have filed an ER for this functionality. The ER number is 1998437. Feel free to request to add your Sold-to-ID this this ER.

P.S. if someone has filled something similar, please let me know, I will ask my sold-to-ID to be add to the ER.

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com
13 REPLIES

Re: Sorting material in new Material Table

Hello Marc,

What I have done was to save our material table to Excel, do the sorting in Excel and re-import then.

Regards,

Theodore

Capture_MATERIAL.JPG

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Theodore,

You are correct that exporting to XLS(X) would be an option.

Personally I see the route via Excel as a route if you want to modified a lot of property information at once.

But for a simple sorting (visual sorting) I would, or I would prefer, this to be possible in the material table window.

Will save some time ;-)

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com

I agree, it would be better if I can sort it in Solid Edge. It's Windows based so it should work
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Genius
Genius

I have just updated to ST7. Trying to get a few things sorted. What is up with the 'new' material table??

You can't SORT the list?????? You have to export and reimport?????? WHY WHY WHY do you change things like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I have to explain that sorting IS SO BASIC.

Unless i have missed something, this is RIDICULOUS!!! What are you people thinking??????????????????????????????

Who tested this? Who said it was better? Who tried it by upgrading from an older version?????????????

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I understand your issue, but I think this "new" material table is more usable than "old" was. You can handle more than one, you can easily create an own material table by exporting/importing or copying/pasting. When I was talking to my customers about Material Table they said very similar than you, but I've presented possibilities of new MT they said that was great and more better than old one.

Yes, there are some thing what is missing from this (search function,...), but we've logged this.

Here is a short video about setting up without excel:

I hope, this helps.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Genius
Genius

Imics,

-Adding advanced functionality should never come at the expense of basic functionality

-Having entries sorted alphabetically will not be an enhancement, it is just getting back what I had yesterday before upgrading

-Maybe I will make use of this new functionality, or, maybe in a few years time I will look back and realise I never have. This has occurred on other  SE features, so is not unprecedented.

Peter.

Phenom
Phenom

Peter,

This is your opinion and I respect it! Smiley Wink Be constructive! Smiley Wink

Have a nice day!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I also see the not available functionallity for sorting within the material table that bad.

To be honest, how often is there a need for resorting the material entries.

Once set up, normally the materials will be there as they are.

And if then there will be a new material added, and You wanted to change the order, than export it to excel, sort it there and reimport it.

This will be a matter of seconds

But also: this is my personal pinion

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius
How often have I wanted to sort the material list? Never, because it always sorted itself.

With ST7 how often will I want to sort the list? Every time I add a material....

I agree with Imics and Wolfgang that this extra step to sort the material list, in isolation, is perhaps only a few minutes. However, a piece of software is in total only a collection of small steps. Great software needs great small steps.

Is what I am asking for too difficult? Is sorting a list alphabetically that hard? If we are honest with ourselves, imagine telling a friend who is not in the industry, but knows about software, that the new version of our main software is unable to sort a list alphabetically, what would they say?

How can a step backwards be defended?

Peter.