Space Navigator install problem - Windows 10

Master
Master

We have one machine that refuses to let me uninstall the space navigator or reinstall. It keeps saying it can't find a 3dxwincore64.msi program. We are just installing using EXE file not silent. It seems 3DConnexion has offshored their support and it is lousy. Extremly hard to understand them reading the canned answers. They told me a week ago that they were escalating the problem and I haven't heard a peep. I seem to remember this same machine giving us a fit on ST6 also but eventually got it to work somewhat.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Leonard

9 REPLIES

Re: Space Navigator install problem - Windows 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Before attempting to install clear out the entire content of the %TEMP% folder.

Failing that, using a tool such as 7zip, manually decompress the .exe and run the extracted setup.exe file instead.

Depending on how you obtained the software you may have to decompress the files twice before the setup.exe is available for direct install. 

Master
Master

Tried it, No luck. Keeps looking for a .msi file that's not there.

Leonard

Siemens Phenom

Is this during actual install or while trying to first uninstall an existing version of the software?

Master
Master

This was after upgrading the machine to ST8 and Windows 10. Four other machines worked fine with no problems but the one machine wouldn't work at all. So we tried uninstalling but the machine kept asking for a certain file on a CD. We have never used a cd to install. Finally got a canned reply from 3D connexxion about doing a clean uninstall. I got our IT guy involved but he only had partial success. He got the motion to work but could never get it to allow us to program the buttons. It was still asking for the cd.

Leonard 

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I had an issue on a machine running Windows 7.  The driver for my Space Navigator suddenly stopped working and no matter how many times I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver it never worked.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Master
Master

I believe this issue started on Windows 7 also. I seem to remember being on the phone for a long time with their tech support a couple years ago. Got it halfway working. same as this time. Some file being buried so deep they can't find it to delete it.

Leonard

Phenom
Phenom

Just a stab in the dark...

Try disabling Microsoft KB3072630 update.

I know of another big CAD software that is update is causing all sorts of installation and software instability issues.

You can google the KB number and find the procedures. (I don't want to break forum rules and send you to a competitors website.)Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For what it's worth, and it's probably zero, we had a Win7 pc with a 3D mouse which, though intended for use with SE, was making the cursor in Draftsight invisible. I unplugged it and removed the driver which fixed that problem. A few days later after replacing a fan in the pc, I decided to download and install the latest driver after which the mouse and Draftsight and SE played nice..

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom

Also FWIW, a format C: and a reinstall of Windows will resolve the issue also ;-)

But seriously, I am a firm believer in wiping a machine and simply rebuilding it from scratch.  Sometimes we get too bogged down in trying to fix niggly issues and more time is spent chasing solutions down the proverbial rabbit holes, whereas a complete fresh install will be quicker, easier, and ultimately provide the fix.

Yes, it is frustrating not being able to figure out the root cause for an issue, and our curiosity and desire to find a solution can get the better of us, but at the end of the day we are not paid to resolve computer issues but are paid to design product and get that product out the shipping door.  If a complete wipe and fresh install gets us up and running faster, then so be it.