Spline approximation of wire import

[ Edited ]

First off, thanks for taking your time to read this post. I have been working on extracting part geometry from a 3D scan and importing this into Solid Edge V20. I now have an IGES import of the desired geometry and want to create a revolution of this geometry around the Z axis, but I assume I have to convert the geometry into a spline first? The geometry in question is shown in the attachment. If someone could enlighten me on how I could create a rotation with the geometry shown, I would be highly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Hendrik

25 REPLIES

Re: Spline approximation of wire import

By rotation do you mean a revolve? And do you want to revolve it about a centerline offset some distance from your geometry? Or are you trying to simulate a wire and that geometry is its centerline?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Sorry, I meant a revolution indeed, I have edited my original post to reflect this. I want to revolve this wire import around the Z axis.

Something along these lines?

Bruce Shand

Exactly what you have shown yes.

Well if you take the sketch where your shape is and add the joining lines shown in my photo you can pick the straight line on the z axis as the revolve centerline. It has to be a closed sketch.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

The issue is that the image I have shown is not a sketch, but an IGES import, which shows up as being a part. When I close the geometry with a sketch and then subsquentially revolve it, it only revolves the part I have sketched, not the part that I have imported.

[ Edited ]

So that is part geometry? Can you do an "include" on that sketch using that geometry?

Or, if the iges object is 2D can you import the iges file into a draft rather than a part? Then copy/paste that draft entity into the part sketch and close the profile?

Bruce Shand

I tried the draft approach, and now I get an error that the profile is not closed as shown in the image? Each point appears to be not closed?

Your photo is not very clear. Each segment of the spline is not joined to the next and therefore the sketch is open?

Bruce Shand