Splitting parts list quantities across 2 or more balloons

Creator
Creator

Hi There

Is it possible to split parts list items across several balloons as per the example below? What I have currently are 8 identical screws used with two connectors, called up by one balloon with a quantity of 8. What would prefer is two balloons, each with a quantity of 4:

SR&D-KMC22416082216400_0001.jpg

In reality the connectors are seperated by some distance, so it would be nice to give an indication of the fastener type at the point of use.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

John

PS - I am using ST8, if that makes any difference.

8 REPLIES

Re: Splitting parts list quantities across 2 or more balloons

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm pretty sure this is only possible by manual entry of the quantity.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

This might be a great enhancement that allows you to create a group (prefrably the of same component/ sub-assy) and then create a text string using the group component count. Add or removing components from the group updates the string value.

This way you get around having to deal with split BOM entries.

Creator
Creator

It's a shame there's no automation to this. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Phenom
Phenom

To be honest, I don't know of any software that can do this the way you want it to.

I just thought about this: If the bolts (in this case) use a pattern say a 2x2 pattern then you might be able to build a variable that multiplies the pattern values. Then you could use that variable as your text string! <pattern_qty>X. But that really is a lot of work to keep a partial qty associative on a drawing.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If SE knows the total quantity and it knows to enter it in the balloon qty field shouldn't it be relatively easy to have it read "backward" from the quantity entered in the balloon to know what the remainder is? It still would require manual entry because it doesn't detect what is in the graphic window. At least if it could detect only what's visible in the window that would be a start. But yeah, tough problem.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

this is done very easily in CREO, its a shame this is automatic on SE.

in creo you can just split the balloon, type how many you want to splt off and then select the new reference, it then automatically changes the qty on the first balloon. you can never have a greater quantity of one item number than exisists in the BOM.

e.g. you have 10 bolts, this can be split onto 3 balloons (4, 4 & 2 etc) but you caouldnt have 4, 4 & 3.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Don't hold me to it, but I seem to recall mention of this at SEU2016 and perhaps the ability to do this in a future version of SE.  

I'm in the same situation as you.  I end up "fudging" the balloons to override the automated count for each components.  Id on't like doing it because I then have to count quantities in the balloons to make sure they agree with the BOM.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

from ST9 on You can overwrite the "Occurency Properties" for every single part/object in an assembly and You can add additional properties too.

You can show them in  a BOM, You can put them into the balloons but the BOM doesn't differ between them with regard to the count.

regards
Wolfgang