Standard parts and Insight

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We use Insight and the standard parts tool for fasteners. The standard parts are automatically placed in the released library in Sharepoint in a folder named "StdPrt". However they go in with status "available". I would think, given where they are placed, that they should automagically be given status "released". I have no desire to have to manage them via the life cycle assistant. And they would never be revised or obsoleted so LCA seems completely unnecessary.

I'm curious if others with Insight/Sharepoint would share their experience and understanding of this.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
12 REPLIES

Re: Standard parts and Insight

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Never used Standard Parts with Insight, however I have found that you can change the status of the SE files by changing the value of the sestatus column value in the Sharepoint library, so switch it from "Avaialble" to "Released" and SE will acknowledge it when it downloads it to the local cache.  I use data sheet view to allow me to edit them en mass.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Exactly what I did - datasheet view. And it worked wonderfully. Then I talked to my VAR and they said that it's risky and I should probably move them to the work-in-process folder and then run the LCA on them. Ostensibly because SE should push values to Sharepoint, not the other way around.

It makes no sense to me. Not only would that be a lot more work but doing that would put a rev suffix on the files and what for? Why would Siemens provide the capability in SP to edit properties and expect their use to be dangerous and give no such warnings?

So in your opinion it's fine to change them in SP? I have a call into GTAC but they're slow to respond on this.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I've done it before and not had any ill effect.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. GTAC agrees.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Some words about Insight and Standardparts.

Usually Standardparts are not part of the Lifecycle because they are what they are "Standard parts".

Therefore they have there own status "Baselined".

Status_englisch-red.png

To have this correctly defined you have to take care of the options

1. Fileoptions in Solid Edge:

Options-File locations-Red.png

2. Configure the Standardparts in the Admintool

StandardParts_Configuration-Red.png

Now the standard parts have the correct status and they are handled correctly by Insight. Smiley Happy

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Stefan_Mitsch,

Our standard parts are in their own library. In our case "\\sql\RelSite\StdPrt".

I don't see where your setup confers baselined status.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Legend

The baselined status is set automatically because of the file location that is configured in the Solid Edge option file location.

I am wondering about the path of your file location because it looks like an UNC path and not like an HTTP path! Check your settings in the standard parts admin.

For me it looks like an mix of Insight and the "normal" standard parts installation.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well, your configuration wizard screenshot also shows a mix of URL and UNC paths so I don't think there is anything wrong with our setup. Still not sure how you assign status automagically to the std prt location.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Legend

You are right that there is a mix but the key is that the red framed entries are http links and the part admin shows that Insight as configuration option is selected.

Just send screenshots from you config so we are better in the picture and we can find out where where the problem is.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de