Starting to try synchronous mode

Phenom
Phenom

I'm starting to try and use Synchronous mode and have a few questions.

1. Is it only parts and sheet metal have have a sync vs ordered choice?

2. Are frames Ordered only? Or do I need to create ANSI sections again using Sync section so the Sync frame mebers are created?

3. Any tips for getting started with Sync may be helpful.

In the bid picture Ordered can referance Sync, but Sync can't referance ordered right? Note referance = capturing a linked dimension.

6 REPLIES

Re: Starting to try synchronous mode

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
  1. Yes, PAR/PSM have the Synch/Ordered environments.   ASM is agnostic with the exception of Assembly Features which still operate as if they are Ordered.
  2. The Frame Components Utility must be launched in the Sketch environment, thus the frame component sections must be created Ordered.
  3. There are numerous suggestions on this site, but follow the tutorials/self-paced training in Help, start playing with live rules off and then add them in to see what they do and learn Solution Manager well.

Think of the the entire Synch node as your first Ordered feature. No Ordered feature can reference anything that come after it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Your last point that sync can't reference ordered is one of the reasons I don't use Sync. If it was the other way around, I would use to finish many things.

Ordered is the right way to get started on a model file. Anything with a frame must be ordered. Sheet metal can go either way. I avoid typical parts when at all possible because almost everything I do is either a frame or sheet metal. I only use parts when sheet metal or frame member are a more difficult or impossible to use.

So the first thing I want to do when designing a combination of sheet metal and frames is reference the frame for the sheet metal dimensions. No can do. Sync can't see ordered.

I have some relatively elaborate sheet metal files in ordered. I see no advantage to converting them to Sync. I would expect about a 50 hour learning curve to do in Sync what I can now do in ordered. And I would lose the ability to reference frames when making sheet metal.

If Sync could see and reference ordered, I would use it. It can't---so I give up on sync.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Being that Frames live in the Assembly and the Synch Sheet Metal lives in a Part, you can reference the Frames in your Synch Part while working in the context of the assembly.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Almost all my sheet metal is also an assembly driven part, is it still worth giving a try? Really I want I to referance from the frame is planes. Then I can use the planes to drive the sheet metal.

I need to keep all my models "resizable" so that the work I have to do for bend tables can be preserved after re-sizing models.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Synchronous is in my opinion by far the best and easiest way to achieve what you want. Trying to drive parts from planes is way too complex in my opinion.
Have a look at the latest video posted in the blog. This does exactly what you are asking for.

Cheers
Mark

Phenom
Phenom

Driving parts from plans is the only easy way I have found to make re-sizable sheet metal box's.

The trick is to start the model from scratch using only plane projections to get started. Yo

(view in My Videos)
u have to start the model with re-sizing in mind.