Steering wheel: Rotate face with offset

Creator
Creator

Hi,

Is there a way, using the steering wheel, to rotate a face with an offset? Just like when you move a face with offset (shift click on arrow, enter offset distance, select destination). Let's say I have a face that has an odd angle with another, and would like to set it at 45 degrees with that face. I currently do this using a PMI angle dimension. Is there a way to do this using the steering wheel?

Thanks,

Eric

10 REPLIES

Re: Steering wheel: Rotate face with offset

Phenom
Phenom

This seems possible by first rotating the Steering Wheel torus with the Shift key pressed to set the offset angle followed by releasing the Shift key and rotating the face in the normal way.

I will try to upload a video soon.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Tushar

it seems,. that this here will not work 100 %.

While possible to shift the steering wheel for a certain angle, the rotation itself point to the selected point, without taking care about the already shift.

At least this is what I have seen here.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad

I have not actually fully understood the question but trying to build a working solution based on further feedback from the OP Smiley Wink

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I have understood the request by Eric in that way, as he wants to rotate a certain reference "axis" wih a delta to a destination axis.

A simply translation let You first shift the steering wheel by a certain value (offset) and then starts the translation itself.

So the result will be an offset from one point to another point.

And the same - it seems - Eric will do with rotate.

But when I tested the shift offset of the steering angle it doesn't take care about the start offset when rotaing it afterwards to the destination point.

SE always rotates the objects with the giben absolute angle

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

@hawcad, I believe we're on the same page.

Shift and clicking on the torus lets you rotate the torus, but it seems to be only for translation purposes. It won't let you rotate the face with an offset to another axis.

Creator
Creator

@Tushar, my solution here - is simply to use an angular dimension.

I'm just wondering if this is feasible using the steering wheel alone.

Creator
Creator

Here is an example. Let's say I want to rotate that highlighted face which is at an odd angle (132.32d) to 135 degrees from the top horizontal face. 

I could simply edit that 132.32 dimension - but is it possible to do this using only the steering wheel?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ericderace and @Tushar

again (first thread suddenly was away)

I think, I've got it, to roate a face with an offset angle using the steering wheel.

The hint might be to orientate the steering wheel before using the shift offset.

See attached video.

When shifting the steering wheel by 15 degrees I'm pressing the Shift Key and click the blue dot

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator
That's it! Thanks @hawcad!